38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Thread: Fonts and Win98

Related

1. Which are Website Fonts    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 7
  2. A Problem With Fonts    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 6
  3. Webpage Fonts    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. script for my fonts    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1

Status

Fonts and Win98

I recently reinstalled Win98se and some of the fonts are showing up as box symbols. Specifically these are Courier, MS Serif, Roman, etc. and a couple others. My mobo has problems with XP and 2k, so until I can replace it, I am stuck with 98. I loaded the fonts on my other box and they were correct, so I ruled out them being corrupted. I first noticed this on my Foxmail e-mail client and upon checking editor properties, I noticed that no default font was chosen. I have reinstalled 98 on the same box a number of times w/o this happening. Is there a setting or the like in the OS that controls this?

Administrator

Status
    Urm... I seem to remeber a setting called 'Use True-Type Fonts' but gawd knows where it is.

Might be worth checking your regional settings in control panel to make sure its correct.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Interesting problem. Must have been a corrupt install. Essentially I reinstalled all fonts from the Cab files on my win98 install cd using the ext dos command line utility. Fixed the prob too!

Status
    I had problems, too, after reinstalling but ignored them. Some of the fonts are coming back as I visit odd web sites or install odd programs. The fonts in MSpaint act up every now and then but if I exit and re-enter, it sometimes cleans that up.

The Windows OS, to me, is like a grab bag - one never knows whats one's going to get from operation to operation or day to day. I've always liked variety in my life.