38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Related

New User

Status

Question .au etc- does it affect rankings?

Hi,
    I'm wondering if the .au will affect my rank in google? I want it to rank high worldwide, but also have the au so when people from Australia search it will be more likely to appear.
    At the moment it is hosted at angelfire, and ranks no.1 for the main keyword.

Will just .com sites be ranked higher than .com.au sites, or does the .au have no affect at all. It seems that with most searches the top site is just a .com... is this just because there are more of them?

Thanks for your help, I know this is written rather badly for a simple question!! :P

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    As you know finding actual FACTS regarding Googles algorithym is an almost impossible task, the best that we can do usually is deductive reasoning.

With that said, the answer is....I dont know. Sorry but it is not an area which I have done alot of research, yet. If an answer is not posted by this evening I will contact Jill Whalen the search engine goddess and ask her thoughts.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

New User

Status
    I optimized some ".co.uk" , ".co.il" , ".tv" sites and didn't experienced something unusual. IMHO , it doesn't matter.

Status

Talking

If it's an "internet" search engine, I'd be very surprised if it made a difference.
    Then again, I'm told that I just don't think along the mainstream in matters that just plain make sense to me

The analogy I'd use is "When I go into the library looking for something specific, I have no idea which section I'm going to find what I want, and I'm probably never surprised at which section I find it in"
    The correct answer to you're question would be very interesting!

New User

Status
    this question had been asked over at DNForum and WebMasterWorld (I believe) and they concluded that top level domain names do not have an impact on the ranking of a site.