68 users online (0 members and 68 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 1
  2. Replies: 4
  3. need help with onclick link to external .JS file    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 0
  4. Replies: 1
  5. Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Exclamation Help with file link

I am creating a CD-ROM with an HTML interface to be us by our offices. My problem is in on some pages I have links to files on the CD that are either programs or Word docs. IE works fine in launching the files when hitting the link. My problem is with Netscape as it will just try to load the data of the program into a window. Am new to HTML and could use help with how to format the link so Netscape also launches the program or Word document.

New User

Status

Dean: Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately Peace Corps has 76 offices all around the world using Macintoshes that have a variety of OS and versions of Netscape and IE. So a standard is pretty hard.

I have been looking at the Helpers also. Problem is that the Application would have to the the FINDER (equiv. to DOS) and that is not an option to set.

Thanks.
    Sara

Administrator

Status

Ay Caramba! 76 offices!

You work for the Peace Corp? Respect.

Hmm.

Have you ever seen those help files you can make? They are basically just compiled HTML but they are standalone with quite a few features.

The software for making these is at http://microsoft.com and its free. Its called html help so put that in the search facility there.

Another option, do the links have to be Word or Excel documents? You can export any page from te Office family into html.

Its another way around it, but don't know if this would suit your needs. Hmm.

Later Sara,

Dean.

New User

Status

Dean: Actually some of the linked items are Word 98 docs, but many others are actual programs that I need to launch. I have imported all the Word documents into HTML, but I wanted to give them the option of viewing the original docs as the HTML version is broken into sections.

Administrator

Status

Again, I have to say - hmm..

I was testing after the last post (should have done earlier really ) and I found that my version of Netscape launches Word, Excel and winword files from the correct program.
    Now, this isn't the way I set it up, as I NEVER use Netscape except for testing html pages, so I'm thinking maybe it's just your version?

Have you tried it on anyone elses computer to see if the same thing happen?

------------------
    QuietDean-
    Last edited by HTML; 09-10-2003 at 06:15 PM.

New User

Status

Dean: Yes I have about 4 machines lined up with different versions to use as test clients. It is the Macintosh platform, not Windows however which is the difference with your testing of the winword docs.
    Thanks.

Administrator

Status

Red face

It's not often I say this....but I am stumped. I'm afraid I don't know enough about Macs at all (never used one in fact) so I am probably barking up wrong trees.

Sorry Sara.

------------------
    QuietDean-

Administrator

Status

hello swith, Welcome to the forums!

Hmm. file associations are usually controlled at the client-end. In other words, it would be difficult to force something to happen at the users computer.
    You could research into ActiveX a little, but I don't think it will achieve what you want.

so... in netscape itself, if you choose from the top menu -

Edit / Preferences

there is a choice called applications. Here is where you set which document type is associated with which program.

Now this means that the user has to set it. Might not be what you are after, but it might work in an office environment.

would it be worth suggesting to the powers that be that using a standard browser for all employees might help?

In the UK, we call this blagging. But it works!

Good luck.

------------------
    QuietDean-