38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Related

1. Determine screen resolution in HTML?    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 8
  2. Replies: 5
  3. Screen resolution problem    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Frames and Screen Resolution    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  5. Screen Resolution    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 9
    New User

Status

Question Standardize Screen Resolution

I recently realized that my web sites look different in different resolutions. Is there a way to standardize, or adapt my sites to each screen size? Please help!

Administrator

Status
    depends heavily on how you design your site, what code you use etc.

One general hint is to use percentages for your width instead of fixed values.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status

Smile

Or design it to the lowest common denominator which is (arguably) a bit less than 800 pixels. On larger screens you'll get space at the sides, but that can be quite effective with the right colour choices. I used to not like sites designed for 800 pixel width, but I've learned to consider the content and the layout is secondary. There are some really nice sites out there designed for 800X600.

Status
    None of my sites have been designed for any specific screen resolution but have all been created, tweaked and uploaded from my 800x600 setting. Almost every one of them has a <CENTER><TABLE WIDTH=98% ...>... surrounding everything else on the page, which appears to make them appear better with other screen resolutions. (The WIDTH= percentages changes from site to site.)

I don't worry about the other screen resolutions - figuring that people using them are used to the idiocyncracies of the sites they visit that are designed for something else or don't fit in other resolutions so easily. But, then, none of my sites are designed for commercial purposes - a very BIG consideration for others not in my boat.