38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Related

1. Help me out with software    Forum: Myspace Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. software help!    Forum: Internet Services
    Replies: 2
  3. SEO Software    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 4
  4. New software site. Submit your software!    Forum: Internet Services
    Replies: 0

Status

Need help with this software upgrade

I currently have a lan network of 7 computers connected together through 2 routers (one is wireless). One of these computers is the "server" that hosts this one customer database program which other computers can access. I am in the process of upgrading this program.

While I am completing out the upgrade form, it is asking 2 questions I am uncertain as to how to answer, could someone tell me how to find them out?

Question 1: "Is there a DHCP Server on the Network? If yes, what is the IP Scope (range between two numbers I take it"

Question 2: "Is there a DNS Server on the Network? If yes, what is the IP Address?"

Thanks for the help with this!

Administrator

Status
    Chances are, if you don't know what they are the answer is no

DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

A DHCP server is at its most basic a netwrok manager. It detects network MAC addresses and assigns an IP address. It means that A) You know who has what IP address B) Users can 'plug-in-and-play' network-wise. They are useful, if you dont have one then do some reading up on them and consider getting one. (some routers are capable (or even are required to be) a DHCP server).

DNS - Domain Name System

This is a server on your network that controls the transalation of domains and sub-domains to certain ip addresses. The biggest network that uses it, of course, is the internet.

If you don't have one, you may not need one. Windows network have their own set of resolution methods which work well in a small network (I think WINS is one, not sure)

Hope that helps.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?