45 users online (0 members and 45 guests)  

Thread: paragraphs

New User

Status

Angry paragraphs

I don't know how to ask this question, but I'll try to explain.

I'm trying to create a fanfiction archive, but I don't know how to get the stories I want from where they currently reside besides by copy and paste.

It dosn't seem resonable to go over all of the stories typing <p> and </p> where paragraphs start and end, when the paragraphs are already formed to begin with.

Can anyone help me? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to html. I hope anybody who is reading this understands what I'm trying to say.

Administrator

Status
    Hiya, welcome to the forums.

In this instance, you might be better off using a (good) WYSIWYG Editor, if only for the fact that when you paste your content in, it will probably be formatted for you.

This is the only situation where I would recommend an editor of this sort
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status

k

K, thanks for the tip I think I'll do that...

Status
    If the file is a formatted text file, merely upload it as (name).txt and open it with your browser. If that doesn't work, surround the formatted "meat" (text) of the file with:

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>(name of contents)</TITLE></HEAD>
    <BODY><PRE>

(place meat of file here)

</PRE></BODY></HTML>

until you learn more about <P> and <BR> and all the other HTML tags. That's how I started some of those pages 1030 web pages ago.

New User

Status

thanks

thanks a lot! I'm just biginning to realize how much there is to html that I don't know.

Super Newbie

Status
    <pre> tags are used to show the text as they are typed out in the source code. that way u only have to copy and paste once

now's a good time to go learn about the other tags

New User

Status
    thanks, i was wondering what <pre> is..

Status
    Please also note that <PRE> doesn't work as intended with all fonts. I've not taken time to figure out which do what, but generally think the COURIER font works best. Default works but that, I think, depends upon what one has specified to be the default for one's browser. I still use <PRE> for PRO FORMA documents until time is found to insert the proper code to get them lined up the way I want or just as is. One example is at:

http://Vote.WeCare40.com

New User

Status
    Thankyou, it's gonna take me awhile to get around to actually using this info though...

New User

Status

Talking

Two things to add:
    1) Some html editors allow you to setup tag completion hot keys and the like. While this wouldn't be the most ideal thing in the world it allows you to say highlight each perspective paragraph --> press the hot key --> and everything that was highlighted would suddenly appear between paragraph tags.

Correct--not a stroke of genius and you still have to hop through the code.

2) Depending upon your overall site formatting this might and might not be eloquent --> just view the source of the given page --> highlight the text you want --> then paste it into your text/data area. Again, this may or may not be pretty depedning on how wrapped up the text is inside of table tags or whatever. And of course don't flat out plagarize without permissions from the owner of that specific text.

If you don't know html at all then basically you are as QuietDean said back to a whatyaseeiswhatyaget style of editor as your best bet.