19 users online (0 members and 19 guests)  

Related

1. Incentive Website for sale! Its making money!    Forum: Websites For Sale
    Replies: 1
  2. how much money can I get for my website    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 1
  3. Make Big Money With Your Website    Forum: Affiliate Marketing and Reseller Programs
    Replies: 0
    New User

Status

My first Pro website (i.e. I did it for the money)

Please yall... give me honest opinions of my shortcomings and any good bits ya spot. This is the first time I have produced a site with any real content. I am aware of a few issues with different colour links on different pages... shhhhhhhh ....lol. I have also recieved a ton of stupid jokes about the intro page. Ummmm.. that's what the Geeezer I did it for wanted. Soooo aside from the intro what's cooking on the site???

(website - Fire marks, these were placed on buildings to indicate to the fire fighters that the building was insured. )

Click away: http://www.firemarks.co.uk

I am new to all this so I apologise in advance if this is not the intention of the forum.

Reds

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I usually avoid doing site reviews, reason being is when I do I tend to look solely at usability and not at the design itself.

...so keeping with tradition...

[QUOTE]<div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; width:292px; height:120px; z-index:1; visibility: hidden;">Keywords:
    buy sell purchase Great Britain British English fire mark auction bid
    shop insurance original replica reproduction reproduced price antique
    history firemarks catalogue photo picture Roy Addis United Kingdom American</div>[/QUOTE]

you are dead before you even get started here. If you wish to make money with your site you need the search engines, you obviously know that or you would not have invisible text. invisible text= search engine ban.

next page,

design looks nice, stuffed with hidden text and javascript.

You would be well advised to clean this up before google sees it.

Dave

Status
    Don't review commercial sites.

Status
    Took more than a minute on dialup.
    Looks OK. I must be missing something. What's a firemark?

Something I've never used is a "spacer gif". Why do people use them? At one point in the code, you've got 12 consecutive TDs containing spacer gifs. If you are interested in speeding up download time, there are MUCH more efficient ways of laying things out.

New User

Status
    Thank you for your comments Dave. I have deleted the invisible layers with keywords as soon a I read the post. (most appreciated - I suspected as much)

In response to the question about spacer images (Android), I have used Macr0media.. Firew0rks to design the buttons and other bits and pieces. As some of the graphics used are made up of several images in a table, the spacers help to stop the browser from squeezing the table(s) so that when the window and/or table changes in height or width the overall picture does not change. (All those bits of script are generated by the above program) Main use for the designer is in autostretch columns in tables where you dont want ya text squeezed.

The overall aim of the website is to provide quality images to fire mark collectors. It is not intended to be a profit making site, more as a place for the owner of the site to showcase his collection. (hmmmm the shop is another story...). I think from now on I will only put my fun sites on this forum... I do apologise.

Thanks for the welcome all. I'm loving these forums... don't feel so isolated anymore... Thanks yall....

New User

Status

Talking

Woohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mama that's alot a code for the given simplicity of the first page. As usual some of the apps that generate HTML for ya throw in extras and then some more extras.

Also, if you're serious about your web building (and I'm not saying you're not) by all means do some study on CSS if at all possible.

On a base level, be sure to keep your navigation as consistent as possible. Where you used the white oblongated (if you will) oval (3 or 4 on top of front page) I would have continued this theme on subsequent pages which it appears did not happen on the couple of pages I clicked through on.

Oh yeah, the only reason I mention CSS is because it affords you the "possibility" of reducing a highrise in code down to oh let's say a 2-story apartment building--www.glish.com/css/ if you wish to know more.

Bye Now