42 users online (0 members and 42 guests)  

Related

1. Line breaks not breaking    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 3
  2. Frame Breaking Codes??    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 13
  3. Breaking the law? Gov't to take your domain    Forum: One Stop Domains Forum
    Replies: 3
  4. Breaking Down Forums    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

breaking frames in your own site

Hi, I've got the frame thing figured out, but I also want to have the option of not having frames on my page. I've seen sites where there's a link that switches you back and forth from frames and no frames for the same site. How do they do that?

Shonaii

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I've seen sites where there's a link that switches you back and forth from frames and no frames
    pretty simple really, if you want a framed page from a nonframed page just link to it. If you want to go from a framed page to a nonframe page link to it using target=top

see the HTML frames tutorials

Dave

New User

Status
    Thanks, that's half of what I wanted. How do I stop it from opening up a new window instead of just opening the frameless page in the current window?

Shonaii

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    target=_top

New User

Status
    Thanks, that worked.

Shonaii

New User

Status
    What if I want it to just go to the page I'm on, rather than always going back to the home page the link is pointing at? Is there a generic "go to the top of the current page" code?

Shonaii

Administrator

Status

In the sections of your page that are the destination of the link you will need a tag like this

<a name="top"></a>

for the link to take you there

<a href="#top">Return to Top</a>

New User

Status
    Umm, ok. I know about targeting links and that's not working. I have two frames, one is the menu frame with targeted links to navigate the extensive text of my home page. When I navigate away from my home page, I want to be able to click on the menu frame and make it go away without navigating back to the home page. I can make it go away by using the code you gave me earlier, but only if I use the target on an already active link, ie:
    a href="homepage.html" target=_top>Frameless</a
    in the menu frame. I am looking for a more generic link that just makes the frame go away and leaves the other frame on the page I'm currently on, whether that's in my page or not. Is there something like that?

Shonaii

Administrator

Status

There are various break out of frames java scripts around thw net, you will have to search.

Dave

New User

Status
    OK. Thanks.