40 users online (0 members and 40 guests)  

Related

1. phpBB Forums Help    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 7
  2. News Script    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. Replies: 0
  4. Suggestions for a good News Script    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    Replies: 5

Status

Using PHPBB as a news script

As I'm sure everyone knows, a lot of websites are now using their forums to incorporate news onto their main page by simply making a post.

Doing this also allows user to make comments to the news update, etc.

I was wondering, I am currently running PHPBB and was wanting to do this. How does one go about doing this? Could someone give me a link to a script that works with phpbb this way, or is it a mod you add to your forums?

Thanks for the help with this!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    You will need to find the specific hack (mod) from PHPbb. If you have questions regarding the hack once you find it, let us know.

Dave

Administrator

Status
    I am using this mod at my clans site -

www.clan-nsa.dk/ncsa

very easy to install. However, www.phpbb.com is down at the moment, so you may have to wait a few days.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Thanks for the help all. I do think I'll simply encorporate the news script and the calendar from the forums into my website.

However, are the ones provided with phpbb equal to that of vb? I do like how the vb calendar is (thanks dave) and was hoping there is a similar phpbb one? I would like to use phpbb, as that i'm familiar with it. Is it worth it to use vb (this is for a new website, so no data to import) or should I use phpbb for what I need?

Thanks for your continuing help!

Administrator

Status
    if you can afford vb, get it. Its very good.

Personally, I actually prefer phpBB. Especially as the upcoming version (2.2) will not only fill gaps in the features compared to VB, but will actually have extra features in comparison.

as to the calendar addon, there is at least 3 or 4 different ones,a ll with different functionalities. Once the site is up, have a look at the demos.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Status
    Here's an update...

I believe I found a decent calendar and I will try that out ASAP!

However, after searching www.phpbb.com (it's up now) and posting on the forums for help, I have yet to find a phpbb news script?

Dean, if you would not mind, could you give me a link to the one you use on your clan site? Or, possibly, anyone that is out there and works well!

Thanks so much for your help!

Administrator

Status
    Hiya,
    they seem to have dropped the one I use (dunno why) but this one looks good, check it out

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18839&highlight=newsmod

Status
    Thank you, that was helpful.

However, I am having problems getting it, and the mycalendar mod to work. Could it be that they don't work on the newer 2.0.5 version of phpbb?

Do I have to use an older version? If so, which one and where can I download it? I didnt see the older versions listed for download on the main site.

Thanks!

Administrator

Status
    Its possible thats the problem, to be honest.

It may be worth asking this question, or posting the problems you are having, on the thread @ www.phpbb.com .That way, the MOD author may answer you.

Status
    As always, thank you Dean.

I have the news script working now, as in, it'll post the news on the forum itself (it has a seperate table up top).

However, I'm still pondering how to get the headlines, or news itself, to feed to the main part of the page.

Status
    Would you dean, or anyone, be familiar with what I need to do to get that news script to feed to my main page? Can I just do an insert tag? or will I need to do more?

Administrator

Status
    You need a stand-along script that will grab the news from the froums that you need to include in your new page. If its a phpBB board, your best bet would be asking @ www.phpbb.com