69 users online (0 members and 69 guests)  

Related

1. help with my host    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 1
    RAPTOR

Status

Question Which host is better?

Hi I just signed-up for a new host. I don't know which is better. I signed-up for alexusmedia.com. I used to use geocities.com but I thought it stunk and didn't give me enough space. Alexus gives me unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth. And it supports a lot of different scripts geocities didn't, I think. And it offers a lot more other stuff and its free. I think alexusmedia is better but I don't know if I would be better off using that or geocities.I am keeping my dot.tk domain so the traffic won't get all messed-up.

Thanks for any help.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    alexusmedia.com domain registered less than 3 months.

unlimited? Lets look at the packages and apply some common sense.

free
    space: unlimited
    bandwidth: unlimited

$24.95/month
    space: 1gb
    bandwidth: 50gb

Now lets apply a little more common sense, Do you know where I can buy a 10000 terabyte harddrive? Maybe that is not enough space, how about a 20,000 terabyte harddrive? Have any idea how to upgrade my old Packard Bell computer from a 3 gig drive to one of those wonderful "unlimited" drives?

Ok, you may be thinking, "well the free has sponsor ads, that is why you can get so much more for free". $5.00 removes ads, so look at the $5 unlimited, now why would I pay $24.95?

I looked at the about us page, very nice building, I wonder who it REALLY belongs to? Would a company with a building that size, not have an address or phone number on the site? or even an email addy? Do you think they would use a hotmail addy to register the domain?

Even after all is said and done, if you are set on playing the free game, and have decided not to take your site to the next level go for it. When you are serious you will stop looking at the toys, spend a few bucks and get a machine and a service. I hope this does not come across as a flame, but the bottom line is you get what you pay for, in the case of geocities and others you pay nothing for, you get nothing.

Dave

RAPTOR

Status
    Yeah I thought it was weird you get unlimited with the free hosting and not umlimited with the hosting you gotta pay for. I can't get any hosting that you have to pay for because I don't have a credit card, not old enough, but in five years I'm gonna start paying for hosting plans.

Thanks!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ywun
    Yeah I thought it was weird you get unlimited with the free hosting and not umlimited with the hosting you gotta pay for.

I think you missed my main point, there is NO unlimited...regardless of how much or how little you pay.

Unlimited simply means that the host is unwilling to actually tell you what you get with the package. I promise you there are limits with EVERYBODY. I would rather have an upfront agreement on what I am buying than to buy blindly and let the host, arbitrarily or not, cut me off at any time.

Dave

RAPTOR

Status
    Yeah it says I have 25000K total.

Thanks

RAPTOR

Status
    Ok I am singing-up for a new host it gives 500mb. Even though its /dir/yourname I'm just gonna use my dot.tk domain.