49 users online (0 members and 49 guests)  

Thread: frames question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. quick question about frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
  2. Question about frames and swapping text    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. question about targeting frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Advanced Frames Question?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 4
  5. Basic question about Frames    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
    New User

Status

frames question

hi, i'm new to these forums but am a freq flyer at flashkit.com. would someone mind taking a look at my frameset and answering these three questions:

http://www.doctoredmedia.com/sportsMedicine/website/site

1) on resizing the window, how can i get my middle row to not condense in horizontally like that. I thought my first frameset cols="*,775,*" would have disallowed it from doing so (i.e.- staying 775 pixels wide).

2) i would really like the page to not resize any further once the browser window is less than 775x560 (this would probably take care of 1) as well). any advice on how to do this? do i need a parent frameset page?

3) i noticed that on a mac i get an unwanted horizontal scrollbar in addition to the wanted vertical one in my main content frame. is there a way to avoid this?

thanks a lot in advance!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by pheck
    1) on resizing the window, how can i get my middle row to not condense in horizontally like that. I thought my first frameset cols="*,775,*" would have disallowed it from doing so (i.e.- staying 775 pixels wide).
    according to frameset cols="*,775,*", you should have 3 frame sources, you only have 1. In addition 4 framesets within 1 document is poor coding, nested frames? Additional framesets should be included in the frame src.

very quick example:

frameset cols="*,775,*"
    frame src=a.html
    frame src=b.html
    frame src=c.html

If you want rows where a and c are then a.html and c.html should be another frameset with the desired lay out

a.html=
    frameset rows="100,100,*"
    frame src=a.html
    frame src=b.html
    frame src=c.html

I cannot say for sure this will solve your problem but cleaning it up is the first step.

Dave

New User

Status
    thanks a lot Dave for the advice. i appreciate it. will work on it.

Be Yourself

Status
    is it too late to discourage the use of frames completely...

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek
    is it too late to discourage the use of frames completely...
    no... by all means please give advice for alternative means. i'd like to link to different sections without changing the whole page. that's why i was thinking of going with this way.

Be Yourself

Status
    I just consider frames a menace to web designing in most cases so i usually discourage others from using them, but you wouldn't happen to know or at least understand PHP a little bit would you?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    a long LONG time ago I first designed ahfb using frames, of course I was not serious with the site yet and just looking for a way to keep entertained while I was stuck in bed. I too did it for the same reason as you, I saw no reason to load the menu every time just the page content. After awhile I realized that for 12 people a day it did not matter, and if I wanted serious traffic I had to ditch the frames. Now if I only get 12 people in 10 minutes I worry what is wrong!

D

New User

Status
    yes i do (re: php), and that's a nice thought. but what about scrolling? I guess i wouldn't have a scroller there and just a long page, but that's probably ok. thanks again.

Be Yourself

Status
    Well I was thinking an easy way to do it would be to keep your exact same look. Except keep the information inside a normal scroll (using CSS to make it look good). Then on each link have it look like www.yourpage.com/index?link=1 etc. Then on the scroll box part have it be

if ($link=1) {
    include("page1.php");
    }
    if ($link=2) {
    include("page2.php");
    )

ya know what I mean? I like using PHP on my menus and stuff it makes for very easy editing and the page wouldn't have to scroll down all the way at all. CSS could make it look just like it does right now.

New User

Status
    hey derek,

that sounds good. i'm familiar w/ more basic css but the scroll stuff i am not. any tips on this? i like your php idea a lot. i'm going to give it a shot.

btw, i was thinking the alternative would be tables based for the layout. is that what you had in mind too?
    Last edited by pheck; 08-05-2003 at 08:56 PM.

Be Yourself

Status
    Well when you get rid of all those many frames on your page you'll have to go back to tables, but you can keep the same look with the tables. As for the scroll bar go to Deans site. It's his homepage or it's the layout in the CSS forums I think. Why write it here when it's all layed out perfectly there Just keep your same idea but convert it to tables and the CSS scroll, and you'll have your frameless, search engine friendly, site Good luck!

New User

Status
    thanks derek, will do. i initially laid it out in tables format. now it looks like i'll be going back that route. ha! design is fun. thanks again.

New User

Status
    oh, btw, who is dean and where is his site (did i miss it before)?

Administrator

Status
    Hello, that will be me.

my CSS Tutorials are prob what derek means.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    thanks derek, dave and dean. i have a new, more dynamic setup (template) using css and php. it now loads in three seperate sections dependent on the section using php (all in one page). this is more elegant. thanks for the direction fellas.

http://www.doctoredmedia.com/sportsMedicine/website/site

oh, btw, i added a cookie in there that is set on going to the splash page. javascript to check for flash, then store 1 or 0 in the cookie for flash or not. the link above should bring you to one dir up (splash page) at first (site/index.php first checks for the cookie, and if it isn't there sends you to splash), then allow you to procede to site/index.php. do me a favor and let me know if it doesn't work this way? thanks.
    Last edited by pheck; 08-11-2003 at 11:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last