49 users online (1 members and 48 guests)  

Related

1. Perl Interpretation Error    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 0

Status

I need an interpretation....

In an article in the Globe and Mail http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030813.rvirus0814/BNStory/Business/ this morning, there's a passage on how dial-upers can deal with the length connection time required for the fix from MSupdate for this MSBLAST worm making the rounds. In particular:

There is the chance, though, that some users particularly those who use Windows XP may not be able to stay connected to the Internet long enough to down*load the fix.

Security software experts say those users should physically dis*connect their computers from any network, including the Internet, then manually delete some soft*ware files and adjust some other settings before going back on-line to get the fr*e fixfrom Microsoft.
    I'm not sure I understand what they mean. Do they think that users should create some kind on corruption in their machines to force a fix, and get the MSBLAST patch at the same time? If they don't know what they're doing (like me) they're lible to render their comps unuseable. Then where are they?
    Or am I misinterpreting this passage?
    Last edited by Android; 08-14-2003 at 07:23 AM.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    To me it sounds like the worm has certain properties which can impede your ability to download the patch. By removing parts of it(while it is not online) should enable you to download the patch and finish the cleanup.

Dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    To me it sounds like the worm has certain properties which can impede your ability to download the patch. By removing parts of it(while it is not online) should enable you to download the patch and finish the cleanup.
    But I thought that the patch was supposed to prevent infection.
    manually delete some soft*ware files and adjust some other settings
    What files? What settings?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Android
    But I thought that the patch was supposed to prevent infection.

What files? What settings?
    I think they are talking about computers that are already infected.

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/w32_blaster.html

Dave