55 users online (1 members and 54 guests)  

Thread: PNG

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Talking

As you can tell graphics are not my specialty. About all I know of png graphics is about 15% of my viewers cannot see them thru thier browser.
    Maybe some body can enlightin us some?

Dave

Administrator

Status

Talking PNG

'Allo.Due to my version of PSP not supporting GIFs, I found myself trying out the other formats.U ever tried PNG format? It seems great! Superb compression, with excellent color depth. But it seems too good to be true. Does Anyone know any downfalls/bad points about PNGs, before I start plastering them all over my wbesites!

Status

Talking

What version of PSP are you using?

.gif and .jpg should only be used on web pages. .png I have never personally used, and don't want to, as less browsers support it

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Talking

I could be wrong, but judging from my stats I would say that the following do not support png graphics.

1. WebTV
    2. Netscape 3.x
    3. Netscape 4.x

Dave

Administrator

Status

Unhappy

v 4.15 se.No GIFs!I woulda thought PNGs were designed for the web.Portable Network Graphic?Do either of the major browsers not support it?It may be a dodgy version I have of PSP...

------------------
    QuietDean-

Status

my site is full of pngs so you can test your browser(s) there

Evil twin of Dave

Status

Arrow

I'm almost positive that QuietDean is correct. Even though the PNG's are so nice they are too good to be true. I was recently attending a Photoshop Web-Design Seminar and the man who was hosting it told us that the PNG's aren't widely supported by Internet browsers so he reccomended staying away from them for now. So they do look great but if you are concerned about compatibility then you should also stay away from using them. Hope that helped you Dean.

-Dave