30 users online (0 members and 30 guests)  

Related

1. Setting last page visited    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Title Page help needed    Forum: Search Engine Optimization - SEO - Forum
    Replies: 9
  3. Free Guide to Setting Up a Website    Forum: Internet Services
    Replies: 0
  4. Help with website design needed    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
  5. Replies: 16
    New User

Status

Help needed: Setting website page size???

Hi everyone,

I'm new to webdesign and I would appreciate hearing from anyone who can provide me with some assistance. I created a website using Photoshop, and after slicing the images I converted it into HTML.

My problem is this: when the site is viewed using IE 6.0 at 800 x 600 resolution, the pages appear just fine. However, if I am viewing it on a monitor that has 1024 x 768 resolution, the page doesn't "expand" to fit the size of the screen, leaving a white strip on the right side.

To see what I'm talking about, go to:

http://www.yoga-dynamics.com

While this is more of a visual distraction more than anything, I'm wondering what I need to do in order to fix this problem. Is it just a matter of inserting some coding?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Welcome to the forums

The way to do it is with percentages instead of pixels (width="100%" instead of width="800"), However IMHO you are not in a position to make this change due to the entire page being nothing more than an image map.

It will take a major overhaul of your site, a little give and take, but you can make it truly awesome. Another thing you need to consider is the inability of search engines to spider text within a graphic. You will never do well with the search engines unless you are ready to overhaul the site.

If you give me some time I will take take 1 section and post the work later, using this you will get an idea of what needs to be done. Be patient though, it has been a long day (had to go to Houston) and I just got home.

Dave

New User

Status
    Dave, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I have so much to learn! The reason I chose text within a graphic was so that I could tweak the text to look a little more "slick". But you are right - this comes at the expense of the search engines not being able to spider the text. I will have to consider this in my next version of my spouse's site.

There's so much I don't know!!! Oh well, I guess everyone has to start somewhere...

Regards,
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Welcome to the forums

The way to do it is with percentages instead of pixels (width="100%" instead of width="800"), However IMHO you are not in a position to make this change due to the entire page being nothing more than an image map.

It will take a major overhaul of your site, a little give and take, but you can make it truly awesome. Another thing you need to consider is the inability of search engines to spider text within a graphic. You will never do well with the search engines unless you are ready to overhaul the site.

If you give me some time I will take take 1 section and post the work later, using this you will get an idea of what needs to be done. Be patient though, it has been a long day (had to go to Houston) and I just got home.

Dave

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I whipped up a couple of rows to give you an idea, please understand that these are the real simple and your next rows begin to get more difficult. A zip file is attached it contains 1 html file and 3 images.

things to know...

Keep tables at 100%

Be sure to look at the individual images in an image editor to get an idea of how this code is working.

The code uses html for font, if you are up to it at this time try learning CSS, Dean has some great CSS tutorials http://css.somepeople.net/ at somepeople.net. I suggest taking the time now while the site is in its infancy.

Some images will not be able to stretch the way I have the first 2 rows, you will have to be creative here. You can blend the image into the white, add a second cell that will stretch to make the image 100% or a variety of different things.

good luck!

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

Disabled

Status
    I agree that you probably don't want to use images instead of text for quite a few more reasons than just search engine spiders. You wouldn't have to change much with your images if you nest tables inside of tables. I have multiple tables inside of tables with the main table centered at 95% so it is centered no matter what resolution the viewer is using. Using a background picture in the table that can be expanded is usefull as well (something I use in nearly all of my header tables). If you want, check out http://www.family4ever.com and click "View/Source" and you'll see I use tables extensively.

New User

Status

Smile

Dave and BigDMeister:

Thank you for your advice and pointers. I will also have a look at the zip file. Very much appreciated.

It's nice to know there are experts out there who are willing to lend a hand to us rookies.

Cheers,
    Joel