72 users online (1 members and 71 guests)  

New User

Status

Internationalization and CSS

Is there a way that coding with CSS reduces the number of changes made when it comes to internationalization. Example: Let's I'm with XHTML 1.0 Transitional and charset=iso-8859-1, does the code convert to some other language using a different charset without the use of a stylesheet change?

Thanks!!!

Warren

Administrator

Status
    Hi there.

CSS only affects the style of a page, not the content. The only language-type tag is the direction one.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Thanks. I figured that I needed to do something additional.

warren

New User

Status

Unhappy Resolving Japanese text issues

This is the problem:

1. Japanese text in our web site appears at inconsistent, varying sizes and baseline positions. This could potentially happen on any web page we make in Japanese.
    2. I don't read Japanese, so to my eye, EVEN as a somewhat experienced graphic designer, the page looks fine. The characters could be grossly malformed and I might not notice!
    3. In Safari (Apple's web browser) fonts almost always look beautiful, anti-aliased and almost always show the correct choices, seemingly that holds true for Japanese fonts as well.
    4. In Internet Explorer or Netscape, the fonts look (according to a Japanese reader) "awful" to "semi-acceptable"...
    5. We don't have hours and hours to spend trying to kill this font issue through experimentation with different tags, etc.
    6. Through CSS we can only make platform-specific, unpredictable font choices.
    7. There are many styles of calligraphy available, and yet it seems we cannot choose "modern" over "classic" styles, our only choices are "larger", "smaller" and "bold" and "regular" weights.
    8. We need a comprehensive, simple solution that will work (mainly) in Internet Explorer (fairly modern version) on Windows PCs, the most common browser configuration and gives us attractive lettering.

Some clues:

1. This seems to be a common problem for web sites, although a few sites don't have that issue.
    2. We have one example of a page which seems to have consistent-looking text, and the address is:
    http://homepage2.nifty.com/sak/w_sak3/doc/syshp/sak3doc.htm#hp_cs
    3. The system "plain old Japanese font" on Macs is "Osaka" (or "Osaka Mincho").

Simple solutions that give us decent, readable Japanese text are greatly appreciated!