27 users online (1 members and 26 guests)  

Related

1. Redirect and remember me    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. Redirect after animation    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 0
  3. js redirect    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 2
  4. Auto-Redirect    Forum: HTML Forum
  5. HTML, passwords and redirect    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    New User

Status

Question redirect advice please

My client had an old site up that died with their web host (one of those sites you build yourself online with their tools). We quickly put up the new site we had ready, but they are concerned about their Google placement. There are a handful of very popular pages under the old names. Right now I am just redirecting those pages to the appropriate place, but my client wants me to rename the new pages to match the old names to keep the placement. It seems to me that since the content has changed, it will reindex the page however it wants, regardless of name. It seems rediculous to name a file "new4857" because that file was popular on Google, even though the content is different now. Would that really help keep the placement?

What should I do? Is it bad for search engines for me to have the page redirected to a new place? Would it be dumb to duplicate the page with 2 names, just in case someone hits the old one and to still be seen by search engines?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Personally, I would change the old pages to only show a link to the new, no meta refresh. I would most definately not have duplicate pages.

Regarding file names, they are one of the points of consideration when figuring ranks, therefore if the filename ranked well before I would keep it, if it ranked poor this is a great opportunity to re-evaluate.

Dave

New User

Status
    ok, thanks. I know the old pages were popular for their content, not their name because they were named things like "new7584". It doesn't make sense to me to name this way. But if the old name was popular for content that is no longer there, should I name the new page that too? Will Google keep it high in the rankings just because it was high before..given it's a good, relevant page? Thanks for your advice! Please see my other posting under HTML about includes. That's giving me a real headache .

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Webeauty
    ok, thanks. I know the old pages were popular for their content, not their name because they were named things like "new7584". It doesn't make sense to me to name this way. But if the old name was popular for content that is no longer there, should I name the new page that too? Will Google keep it high in the rankings just because it was high before..given it's a good, relevant page? Thanks for your advice! Please see my other posting under HTML about includes. That's giving me a real headache .

Kind of a tough call, on one hand even with a strange name it did well, if it's not broke don't fix it comes to mind. On the other hand, do you think giving it a more relevant name will be of benefit?

like I said tough call, good luck

Dave

New User

Status
    OK, thanks. I think I'll go ahead and do what he wants and go with the querky name. Thanks again for all your help.