50 users online (1 members and 49 guests)  

Thread: css help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    New User

Status

Help Help Help

i am having majoir problems with css on my website and i have no idea why but heres what i wana do
    -have all the link, pictures, and bg images on my navagation on css
    but the problem is i cant do any of that it wont work just look at my code its perfectly right ?i think? but i cant even do a bg image and i don't even know how to do a picture or link in css some1 PLEASE help me cuz i have gone everywhere other forums, other webmasters, and i came up with nothing just please help me please
    heres a link http://tigerhawk39.tripod.com/news.html
    please help me

Administrator

Status
    Hiya, welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you need an introduction to CSS. Try my CSS Tutorials http://css.somepeople.net , then come back with any questions from there. Its a good introduction.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97" ??????
    Better learn HTML first.

New User

Status

Unhappy

i know css i definitly know html and that was very mean lol

ok heres the deal what that last post was all about css is NOT working i put in the exsact right codes and it dos'ent work i don't know why and i have asked many ppl if u even look at the code i put in a bg image for the cell to the left and it did'ent work and the code and picture url is fine cus i copied it from a tutoral to make sure and it wont work can u please help me if u know how to fix it or whats wrong

New User

Status

Exclamation

that microsoft 97 thing is because i made my table on that program to save time lol

Administrator

Status
    Well , lets start with your embedded style sheet -

Code:
    h4 hi { font-family:Arial, BankGothicMDBT, verdian; Font-Size:10pt; )
    h4 { font-family:Arial, BankGothicMDBT, verdian; Font-Size:10pt; )
    h5
    h6
    h7
    h9
    h10
    h11
    h12
    h13
    h14
    h15
    <h16><Br>
    <h17><Br>
    <h18><Br>
    <h19><Br>
    <h20><Br>
    <h21><Br>
    <h22><Br>
    <h23><Br>
    <h24><Br>
    <h25><Br>
    <h26><Br>
    <h27><Br>
    <h28><Br>
    <h29><Br>
    <h30><Br>
    <h31><Br>
    <h32><Br>
    <h33><Br>
    <h34><Br>
    <h35><Br>
    <h36><Br>
    <h37>
    <h38>
    <h39>
    <h40>
    What are all those <h> things? They are not valid css. Secondly, your definitions for h4 and h4 hi use a bracket ) at the end instead of curly braces }. You need to fix that. Thirdly, every definition should end with a ; character, these are missing those.

Start by sorting that out, and lets see what happens.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Administrator

Status
    heres a clean version -

Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    h4 
    { 
    font-family:Arial, BankGothicMDBT, verdian; 
    Font-Size:10pt;
    }
    h4 hi 
    {
     font-family:Arial, BankGothicMDBT, verdian;
     Font-Size:10pt;
    }
    </style>
    The reason I put h4 above h4 hi is that all your definitions for H4, bring later in the sheet, would over-write the definition above it.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddowlink
    that microsoft 97 thing is because i made my table on that program to save time lol
    The problem with most programs that "save time" is they don't. If you have not gone in after and corrected all the code you are not yet finished.

If you have the need to create properly formatted tables Sonofmidi created a HTML table generator which you get the right code the first time

You will probably find that running things through the HTML and CSS validators also will save you alot of time.

</spam>

Dave

New User

Status

thanks

thank u for ur help i got some stuff done because of it (by the way <h21> is somthing i was gona use for css cuz i copied and pasted and never cleaned that up) but heres what im realy wondering about and that is how to do my whole navagation bar in css. like for instance the pictures how do i do pictures in css cuz i could'ent find that on webmonkey or anything. and i would like to know how to do links and text in css like in the internal stlyesheet cuz i have about 50 some pages to my site, and i need my whole navagation bar in css so i don' have to change every page your answer would be greatly apriciated thanks.

Administrator

Status
    You cannot 'do' images in css, or links. You can, however, style them with css. Let us know exactly what you need from them and we can help.

New User

Status
    hey im just gona style everything up on my page now even thought i was told if i learned css i could do that, but oh well. Now i was told that to have my navagtion links and pictures to be able to be changed and it will change the whole site that i would have to use a php code. He told me to instert a php code that that was "linked" to another page (i will call it layout.php for now)and that i would just make my table with the navagation in the "layout.php" file and in the regular page i would just leave the cellls (that have the navagation in them) alone. and then i could just edit the "layout.php" file and it would change the whole site. do u know if that is true or not or what i could do to have my navagation so that i can just add a link and it will add it to the whole site.
    Thanks alot for ur help so far
    now i know where to go to get help

Administrator

Status
    Yes, that will work. However, your files all have to be .php files. eg index.php instead of index.html
    Once thats sorted, you would include like this -

Code:
    <?php include("layout.php"); ?>
    that would work.

New User

Status

thanks

thank you once again ur a big help now i just need to make sure it works but heres the problem im having now its real simple i think well i wana have a bg image in css for the right hand colum i have and it wont work and im sure the codes right but the picture name im trying to put over their is somthing like NintendoAol//auto_backgroundr_9.jpg and i put in the css code as u can see but it did'ent work but it did for the other side.
    ps. i no im not using periods and all sry about that its cause i got to got soon thanks bye

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    could be the double slash "//"

New User

Status

nope

nope because all my pictures are that way o yeah heres the link to the page
    http://tigerhawk39.tripod.com/news.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last