42 users online (0 members and 42 guests)  

Related

1. Opinion    Forum: Show it off!
    Replies: 2
  2. Opinion    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  3. Can I have an honest critique please?    Forum: Show it off!
  4. Opinion Please    Forum: Show it off!
  5. My Opinion    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 4
    New User

Status

Cool Hello, New to the forum, and Need Honest Opinion about my site!

Hi All,

This is my first time in the forum!

I designed my website for several months, but still haven't settle the final layout.

I only Internet Explorer 6, 800x600 resolutions only.
    I'm not sure what my site looks like on other browsers, resolutions.

Q1. Does my website look normal on other browers?

Q2. And, what do you think my design in general? Please be honest.

I use dial up internet access at home, and feel my site loads rather slow.

Q3. Do you feel the web pages open too slow on cable, road runner, AOL, etc.?

Q4. Does my javascript popup menu on the left side of the site work?

My homepage is my most current layout, that's I'm going to use:

Please check the following pages:

Home Page:
    http://www.101homeaccents.com

Product Page:
    http://www.101homeaccents.com/products/holiday_decor/autumn/27090.html

Q5. Can you see the price of the product? (It's in javascript, not as plain text).

Page with OLD layout:
    http://www.101homeaccents.com/products/

Q6. Which layout is better, the current home page one, or the old one?

Thank you all for reviewing my website.
    Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Best wishes,

Tom
    Last edited by 101HA; 09-24-2003 at 12:57 AM.

Status
    new one looks alot better inmho.. and im using Mozilla Firebird @ 1024 x 768 res

Status

Talking

The home page looks pretty good in 1024x768 IE/Win2000, although took about 5-6 seconds on high-speed. Images look pretty good considering they're 8 to 9 KB each. Nice job.
    However, I get a box instead of an (assumed) apostrophy:

"[b]Theres nothing more luscious [/b]" at the top, and about the only critique I can find is that the letters in the top paragraph are somewhat difficult to see. Maybe they could use bolding, or maybe a brighter colour than black on the dark green.

New User

Status

To Speed or Not!

First, woh, don't know what's holding your load speed up without a super-detailed analysis. I'll just say the first load was indeed slow and I'm sitting behind a T1 caliber line in a fairly off-peak hour.

Secondly, while I noticed you were using some CSS I didn't really analyze what you were doing with it. I'd attack the decorating tips box on your right-hand column with say maybe padding: 10px; saying you've got a specific css class or id representing the border surrounding it or whatever. That'll give it some air.

Thirdly, and this is just me, I'd either add some whitespace (your choice where) and/or vary either your font color or background color so that there is some more contrast therby providing a more coherent less straining reading experience.

The above will improve the overall user experience, however, no absolute show stoppers other than getting to the bottom of the initial load speed. Let's say you've 10 seconds tops (although these figures will vary depending on who you talk to) and you'll start to lose "customers" as time accumulates beyond for sure. Other figures have said 7-8 seconds.

Yep, the biggest element is speed--note that the individual product picture/description pages were also not very nimble. Definitely track this down as people won't be long on the 2-lane rural route fore they are scattering back to the 6-lane interstate.

New User

Status

Wink

[QUOTE=Zaire]new one looks alot better inmho.. and im using Mozilla Firebird @ 1024 x 768 res[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

New User

Status
    [QUOTE=Android]The home page looks pretty good in 1024x768 IE/Win2000, although took about 5-6 seconds on high-speed. Images look pretty good considering they're 8 to 9 KB each. Nice job. .[/QUOTE]

Thank you. i will reduce images size.

[QUOTE=Android]However, I get a box instead of an (assumed) apostrophy:

"[b]Theres nothing more luscious [/b]" at the top, and about the only critique I can find is that the letters in the top paragraph are somewhat difficult to see. Maybe they could use bolding, or maybe a brighter colour than black on the dark green.[/QUOTE]

I found out the error. the box should be gone!

I think maybe the text in top paragraph is Italic, and displayed different from browser to brower.

How about other text? do you look normal?
    Last edited by 101HA; 09-24-2003 at 03:31 PM.

Status
    [QUOTE=101HA]do you look normal?[/QUOTE]
    LOL check my avatar.......
    The rest of the site looks fine, it's the weight of the aforementioned text that makes it seem to get lost in the texture of the background.

New User

Status

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=mbh]First, woh, don't know what's holding your load speed up without a super-detailed analysis. I'll just say the first load was indeed slow and I'm sitting behind a T1 caliber line in a fairly off-peak hour..[/QUOTE]

I think it because the products images are TOO big!
    I should reduce their sizes. But i have more than 1,000 products to modify. Is there any software that I can change all pictures size (in the same folder) at one click of mouse?

[QUOTE=mbh]Secondly, while I noticed you were using some CSS I didn't really analyze what you were doing with it. I'd attack the decorating tips box on your right-hand column with say maybe padding: 10px; saying you've got a specific css class or id representing the border surrounding it or whatever. That'll give it some air..[/QUOTE]

I use CSS to control the overall font, background, link effect, ect.

Yes, i used a different CSS for the decorating box. But the padding will be sold green color. Kinda ugly. I think i am going to add padding inside the table, so that visitors can read the words easily.

[QUOTE=mbh]Thirdly, and this is just me, I'd either add some whitespace (your choice where) and/or vary either your font color or background color so that there is some more contrast therby providing a more coherent less straining reading experience..[/QUOTE]

Where do i put whitespace?
    What do you think about the font color, font size, etc.?

[QUOTE=mbh]The above will improve the overall user experience, however, no absolute show stoppers other than getting to the bottom of the initial load speed. Let's say you've 10 seconds tops (although these figures will vary depending on who you talk to) and you'll start to lose "customers" as time accumulates beyond for sure. Other figures have said 7-8 seconds.

Yep, the biggest element is speed--note that the individual product picture/description pages were also not very nimble. Definitely track this down as people won't be long on the 2-lane rural route fore they are scattering back to the 6-lane interstate.[/QUOTE]

Yes, i totally agree. But I have to reduce all the image size. WOW more than 1,000 pictures, that's a LOT!

I wish i can find a easy way to do that instead of doing one by one. I don't know when i am gonna finish them.

Thank you very much, and i need MORE comments!
    Last edited by 101HA; 09-24-2003 at 03:27 PM.

New User

Status

Image Avalanche

Okay, first things first. Without knowing what graphics program you might be using I"ll say this in general.... alot of the major player graphic programs (Photoshop--adobe.com/Paint Shop Pro--jasc.com) are going to have either something called batch conversion utilities built-in or scripting abilities of some sort or another. You'll have to track that down based on your graphics program.

If push came to ABSOLUTE SHOVE you could go to google.com and enter the search phrase "batch convert images"--could turn into a crap shoot as you'll have to find something that gives you the resizing control as well. Personally not being a graphics king myself I started on PSP 6 and also have 8 though I'm still perferring 6 as I get use to the new 8 interface. Jasc.com at one time had a little add-on called "image robot" that you could open seperately from within the main program and then basically point it at a directory and it would rip through applying any of the PSP settings from top to bottom.

===== enough on that stuff =======
    Whitespace: while this site http://www.winecountrygiftbaskets.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=welcome.htm
    is having maintenance done at the moment check it out in your leisure. Whitespace is going to be a whole design concept and just really (don't know what you know and don't know) has to do with actually leaving the white/color spaces throughout. I couldn't really say okay put white space here. Again, that's kinda of a preference deal--you use what colors you like--period! The biggest thing I would say is contrast/contrast/contrast so that the eye is assisted in "easily" distinguishing things. Provide enough contrast between the background and foreground that the eye doesn't find itself having to over compensate. White background with black text is the obvious example of course. No--though people will use it--white text on a black background is NOT a good example.

New User

Status

example

[QUOTE=mbh]Okay, first things first. Without knowing what graphics program you might be using I"ll say this in general.... alot of the major player graphic programs (Photoshop--adobe.com/Paint Shop Pro--jasc.com) are going to have either something called batch conversion utilities built-in or scripting abilities of some sort or another. You'll have to track that down based on your graphics program.

If push came to ABSOLUTE SHOVE you could go to google.com and enter the search phrase "batch convert images"--could turn into a crap shoot as you'll have to find something that gives you the resizing control as well. Personally not being a graphics king myself I started on PSP 6 and also have 8 though I'm still perferring 6 as I get use to the new 8 interface. Jasc.com at one time had a little add-on called "image robot" that you could open seperately from within the main program and then basically point it at a directory and it would rip through applying any of the PSP settings from top to bottom.

===== enough on that stuff =======
    Whitespace: while this site http://www.winecountrygiftbaskets.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=welcome.htm
    is having maintenance done at the moment check it out in your leisure. Whitespace is going to be a whole design concept and just really (don't know what you know and don't know) has to do with actually leaving the white/color spaces throughout. I couldn't really say okay put white space here. Again, that's kinda of a preference deal--you use what colors you like--period! The biggest thing I would say is contrast/contrast/contrast so that the eye is assisted in "easily" distinguishing things. Provide enough contrast between the background and foreground that the eye doesn't find itself having to over compensate. White background with black text is the obvious example of course. No--though people will use it--white text on a black background is NOT a good example.[/QUOTE]

Can you give me a good example?

New User

Status

Wink Boatload of Ideas

These are just a few for reference with very professional presentations. While surefit utilizes whitespace much less than linenplace... linenplace is a beautiful example of whitespace in the design. It's hard to explain, as everybody has color preferences, however, it's just something about a web site that has whitespace breaking up it's elements per say. Atrendyhome is yet another good white spacer. Again, this doesn't mean whitewash your entire site... if you spend some time on trendyhome or surefit... you'll see that maybe the white space is just at the top of the page or just in between their product pictures or even at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.surefit.net/
    http://www.surefit.net/shop/thelook/?look=achievethelook
    http://www.linenplace.com/
    http://www.linenplace.com/bath/search.shtml?section=2
    http://www.atrendyhome.com/index.html

These are just ideas... very professional I might add. Ha, I wish I could say I had done all my sites like these. I'm constantly learning seeing what I should have done! These are in the same basic genre you appear to be heading for! Any of these sites would/will be great to R&D on--I"ll be doing the same. It's not that they've used rocket science, it's a presentation, feel, blend of colors and contrast.

New User

Status

Thumbs up

Hi, i think the site looks great. I couldnt really compare it to anything because the links point to the same page now. I like the logo! Good job!