40 users online (1 members and 39 guests)  

Related

1. Help with web site promotion and SEO    Forum: Website Promotion Forum
    Replies: 15
    New User

Status

Cool Site Promotion tricks

I am new here and notice that in this forum one of the most important site promotion musts has not been mentioned. I get at present about 40,000 hits per month on my site and a fair amount of return visitors. the one thing i have found that is absolutely necessary besides getting a decent listing in the major search engines is links. Getting other sites to link to yours not only gives your site more exposure but also helps it in the rankings on some search engines. The majority of search engines which spider a site will also check the links to other sites out. This in turn will put your site higher in the standings on these search engines. I am listed on one search engine because of links from other sites at last count 84 times. It is work to exchange links with other sites but in the long run it likely pays off a lot more than some of the "get hits quick" systems that you see advertised all over the web. The only way to really make your site a success besides good content and offering something that people want is hard work. No other way in my humble opinion and for what it is worth.

Status

Cool

Agreed. One method I've used is to check out the sites that link to a site similar to mine at http://www.marketposition.com/linkpopularity.htm . I choose a bigger or older/more popular site with similar content to mine, do the link lookup and start visiting those sites that link to the "competitor". Those that look relevant I approach about exchanging links.

Anyone have thoughts on Zeuss? I tried it as an experiment on one site, but haven't re-installed it after a hard drive re-format. After reading a few slightly wary posts in the Search Engine Forums, I sort of decided that I really prefer doing things "the old fashioned way". Including exchanging links and building a directory.

later,

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

The theory I have stuck too since day 1, even before link popularity was a factor with search engines, is the old saying "if you cant beat'em join'em".

Getting a #1 ranking in the search engines is extremely difficult, maintaining that position is impossible. It is extremely inportant to monitor those that rank above you. How many times have you done a search, clicked the #1 site only to find they do not have exactly what you are looking for? If the site is not even close you would obviously hit the back button. If it is almost what you want but not quite, most people will look for outside links from this page. If your site is linked from these higher ranked sites it is just as good as a #1, and the quality of the visitor is higher as the search has become narrower while passing thru these sites to yours. I have had instances where I was ranked #2 and actually had more hits coming from the #1 site than from the search engine itself!

There is a right way and a wrong way to getting links from these sites. The person with the most popular HTML site on the entire net has recently asked for a link from AHFB, is he gonna get it...not as it stands now, actually he has not even received a reply. The reason why (in my best Janet Jackson voice), "what have you done for me lately".

When I ask for a link from a higher ranked site I always make sure I link them first. I do not just throw up a link and say "hey I added you now you add me", I put up a link and wait ATLEAST a month to even say my first hello. You must give these sites time to see the traffic you are giving them. I guarantee that if the person mentioned above had placed a link to me, without me even asking, and this link sent me a bunch of qualified visitors, I would have added his link before I ever went on to the next email.

just my thoughts,

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 04-18-2001).]

Status

Cool

Great thoughts, Dave. Thanks.
    webmistress

New User

Status

beelzebulb is right on target with the changing times.

webmistress, I too tried Zeuss, and it crashed my hard drive too. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dave just gave me an angle I haven't directly explored...waiting before asking. Thanks!

Another thought to consider is how relative incoming links are. For that reason, I no longer post my url in every post, although it can be found in my signature. I like White German Shepherds and Harley Davidsons, and although my hits aren't as plentiful as beelzebulbs, I'm fairly new to puters, I'm learning from folks like you and making good progress in many of the SE's IMHO ...*S*

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    When I ask for a link from a higher ranked site I always make sure I link them first. I do not just throw up a link and say "hey I added you now you add me", I put up a link and wait ATLEAST a month to even say my first hello. You must give these sites time to see the traffic you are giving them. I guarantee that if the person mentioned above had placed a link to me, without me even asking, and this link sent me a bunch of qualified visitors, I would have added his link before I ever went on to the next email.

just my thoughts,

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 04-18-2001).]
    This is what i do with some of my sites, its very effective and in most cases i have had the webmaster of that site contacting me to thank me for the promotion and telling me they have added me to their site..

Another good tip is when you contact the webmaster dont just make it the standard swap links crap... make it sound more than just that.. i always like to use the words "joint venture" makes them feel special and also can help improve communication between use.. you may end up with more than just a link on their website such as "information" !

Administrator

Status
    Hiya.

This thread is nearly three years old. I dont really see the value in commenting on it now. Though we do appreciate your desire to help.

You seem to have a knack for the 'human touch', do you have any more general tips for SEO in the real world?
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    3 Locust Street, Suite A Assonet, MA 02702

Re: Site Promotion tricks

I dont agree to you that onlu inbound links are important for increasing rankings yes of course these contribute in this but along with many other things are also important.