71 users online (0 members and 71 guests)  

Thread: trojan.qHosts

Related

1. Article: File-sharing programs carry Trojan horse    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 0
    New User

Status

Exclamation trojan.qHosts

Have you guys heard about this trojan.qHosts trojan virus out there ? It's new, it's mean, and it's getting worse.

I've been following the threads at googleGuy, ever since I had a problem.

My googletoolbar stopped working - and then I couldn't reach google. It was weird, and I figured maybe google was down. A couple of days later, I still couldn't reach it - and my internet access was flaky....

I've been trying to get my site listed in google, so I was doing some research when I ran across some other people with the same problem - seems like the culprit is a trojan from some website(s) that exploits Internet explorer and creates a HOSTS file that overrides the IP address resolution for all the google sites. It also changed my DNS server.....

So today, I find some new posts - apparently there is a new version that the removal tools don't find, and this one hijacks all the search engines - yahoo, lycos, exactseek, etc...

Any clues on what sites might have this piece of work on them ?

admin edited

-Chris
    Last edited by HTML; 10-31-2003 at 05:04 PM.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    welcome to the forums feel free to share any info you may have with the community.

Dave

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    welcome to the forums feel *ree to share any info you may have with the community.

Dave
    Thanks for the warm greeting... I'm enjoying it here.

-Chris

New User

Status

Check for JS_FORTNIGHT.M virus

See http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=JS_FORTNIGHT.M
    for information.

Quote Originally Posted by christodd
    Have you guys heard about this trojan.qHosts trojan virus out there ? It's new, it's mean, and it's getting worse.

I've been following the threads at googleGuy, ever since I had a problem.

My googletoolbar stopped working - and then I couldn't reach google. It was weird, and I figured maybe google was down. A couple of days later, I still couldn't reach it - and my internet access was flaky....

I've been trying to get my site listed in google, so I was doing some research when I ran across some other people with the same problem - seems like the culprit is a trojan from some website(s) that exploits Internet explorer and creates a HOSTS file that overrides the IP address resolution for all the google sites. It also changed my DNS server.....

So today, I find some new posts - apparently there is a new version that the removal tools don't find, and this one hijacks all the search engines - yahoo, lycos, exactseek, etc...

Any clues on what sites might have this piece of work on them ?

admin edited

-Chris

Status

Re: trojan.qHosts

You can remove the Trojan.Qhosts virus with MalwareBytes.org's AV software, I was shown this by one of my friends...

Quote Originally Posted by AceKidd01

Sure, here's a log of that virus, if he has the ASK.com toolbar, that is most likely the cause. It's a dll embedded in the AppData/local folder for that windows user.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
    http://www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4006

Windows 6.1.7600
    Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

19/4/2010 22:45:38
    mbam-log-2010-04-19 (22-45-38).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|)
    Objects scanned: 328742
    Time elapsed: 33 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\LocalCopy\{8EA0DC73-C13B-438A-AEAC-1951228AD6B3}-server.exe (Worm.Rebhip) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\gert0.dll (Trojan.Qhosts) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\XX--XX--XX.txt (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

All I know about the JS Fortnight bug is that it's a Web-based javascript bug, but not as bad as the DLL bug. Hope that helps, prevention from infection is better than trying to fix an infection