61 users online (1 members and 60 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 2
  2. Help with Netscape    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. Netscape 4.7    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  4. Replies: 2
  5. Tables in netscape    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 3
    New User

Status

tables in Netscape 4.77

On my webpage http://3rff.com/main.html, users employing netscape 4.77 will only see the 5 links at the top of the page but none of the pertinent information below. I assume this is bacause the info is in a table? Some co-workers of mine have experienced the problem, and after getting a Netscape upgrade they could see the page correctly, but I can't ask the general public to upgrade (can I?)
    Is there a way to code the tables so they appear in Netscape 4.77? Thanks!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Netscape is very picky about properly formatted tables, tags must be closed properly. I ran your page through the HTML validator and noticed an open table tag, this is probably the problem.

On a side note, your head is closed to early, place the </head> tag just before the <body>

Dave

New User

Status

thanks, but one more thing

The validator is now reporting only some 'alt's missing, but I am having one further problem under Netscape 4.77, which is that some jpg's are overlapping. In this case, http://3rff.com/main.html, the jpg with the words "Three Rivers Film Festival SPECIAL EVENTS, No Passes accepted for these events." is overlapping the three jpgs below it.
    How can I get these three jpgs to appear after the "SPECIAL EVENTS" jpg? A carriage return doesn't seem to solve it.

New User

Status

Cross Browser Hell

While I admire your valor there's a point where attempting to serve the public with NS4 versions in mind leads swiftly to the land of No Happy Returns. I speak from experience as there was a long while I nursed and pampered web development in NS4.76 and skipped implementing anything that failed to work in it.

I finally crossed that bridge once I started working with CSS and discovered the lack of support (total lack of respect) that NS4 had for this "new web standard" if you will.

Yep, CSS is somewhat old hat in web years now and to boot Microsoft IE has most of the browser market with all others dragging up the rear in single digit percentages for market share. Now I link to an external CSS stylesheet using @import and any browser that fails to recognize that simply receives a basic formatted page.

Too many browsers too many differences. At some point you must decide I will first keep my sanity! Sure by all means correct your table and NS4.+ shouldn't (never did) have any problem if you've properly closed all of your tags.

Cheers

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I am using 800x600 resolution and it looks fine. what are you using?

Dave

Administrator

Status
    Do what I do, detect non-compliant browsers and redirect or link to the web standards project - http://webstandards.org/act/campaign/buc/
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status

Talking

I've always found it handy to have borders show (="1") so I can see what's happening, then change them to "0" when the layout's done.

New User

Status

still not looking clean

Dave, using 1024 x 768 under Netscape 4.77, there's lots of overlapping Jpgs. Why would Netscape do this? For a good example of a page with a lot of this problem, please see http://3rff.com/sponsors.html

Thanks

Administrator

Status

First instinct was to add the image sizes, you have not specified width and height for your images so I blew that off. I did run it through the validator and it beside the alt tags it came out pretty well. You do have an extra </a> and an extra </p> but they should not be the cause.

The line
    HTML Code:
    <COL WIDTH=175><COL WIDTH=175><COL WIDTH=175>
    does concern me, you should put your widths within your td tags.

Dave