92 users online (0 members and 92 guests)  

Related

1. Local applications    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. Replies: 0
  3. Replies: 2
  4. Website & Web Applications for sale    Forum: Websites For Sale
    Replies: 0
    New User

Status

Need help tieing several applications together

Hello All. I am just learning PHP and I have a question for you.

I am building a large site that will be running PHPnuke, osCommerce, PHPmychat, Netclassifieds, Photopost PHP, and either vbulletin or phpbb.

I want my site members to only have to register a username and password once for all the basic features so that they dont need to register their information 6 different times in order to access all areas of the site. Can this be done? If so, can you give me some ideas on how to do it? Thanks.

Administrator

Status

Re: Need help tieing several applications together

Hi there,

In a nutshell, most of those systems use a database authentification system. The trick will be to modify each script so that they all use the same database info and authorisation system. Its a big job.. so good luck.

If you use phpBB, there is a HUGE mod-author network there, some of the woprk may have been done already, so have a look at www.phpbb.com
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status

Quote Originally Posted by QuietDean
    Hi there,

In a nutshell, most of those systems use a database authentification system. The trick will be to modify each script so that they all use the same database info and authorisation system. Its a big job.. so good luck.

If you use phpBB, there is a HUGE mod-author network there, some of the woprk may have been done already, so have a look at www.phpbb.com
    Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I am new to PHP so I am probably not up to doing a really big mod. I guess I will start up the site using all the seperate applications but if people start to complain about it, then I guess I will have to do it.

It may be better though to have seperate registrations, because some areas are going to be for payed members and others are open to the public.

If anyone else has done something similar though and can show me what you did, I would still like to look at it though. Thanks.

Billy Brenner
    Reptile World

Administrator

Status

Hi Again,

Someone is working on a similar mod for phpMyChat, it might be a good start, its here - http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=138647&highlight=single+login
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

New User

Status
    I think I have this planned out. I am going to use phpBB2 as the basis. That is what everyone will need to register for to use the site. Then I will install PostNuke, which will share the user database with phpBB. Postnuke then also has a bridge available that will allow it to share users with osCommerce. As you mentioned, their are allready mods to link it to phpMyChat, and lastly photopostPHP has the ability to share users with all popular web applications.

So, if I install everything correctly and get all the mods working, I wont actually need to do any major mods myself, probably just some tweaking. I know the chances of this working perfectly on the first try is remote, but I can always come here for help and to the support forums of the software that I am running .

Goanna

Administrator

Status
    Yes, you can I also visit phpBB forums, so might see you there

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietDean
    Yes, you can I also visit phpBB forums, so might see you there
    Thanks man. I hope to see you around. I will give you a link to my site once I get it somewhat functional, lol.

Status
    Rather that modify all of them to use the same DB... it might be easier to just sync all the databases with eachother all the time..