62 users online (1 members and 61 guests)  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Related

1. Delete Gator    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 116
  2. Gator    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 14
  3. Gator and Adaware (et al)    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 21

Status

Gator and Adaware (et al)

I've entered this here in 'Discussion' rather than "Webmaster Ethics" as it's more of a discussion about the subject that newbies to it (I include myself) are more apt to run across.

I've seen what Gator and other stuff like it has done to my colleagues machines. I don't seem to suffer from the effects (yet). I don't think that I'm infected. Would one have had to download and install a program to be infected? Or can you be infected just by surfing "questionable resources"?

Is there any way someone could use the START/SEARCH utility to find out if anything like Gator and it's ilk is on you're computer? I've gone through the forums at Adaware, and in some cases it seems that Adaware might cause undesireable things to happen to your computer. If I could conduct a simple search for things that shouldn't be on my computer, I would feel more comfortable downloading and running Adaware to disinfect it.
    What would be a good list of keywords to search for to see if I have anything installed that shouldn't be.

Yesterday, I did a simple search for "gator" and came up with something (I think it was a cookie) called gator.txt. Is this an infection? I deleted it anyway.
    Comments?

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: Gator and Adaware (et al)

Not sure about the cookie.txt, and am even less sure in regards to adaware now days. Several months ago I pulled my personal support for adaware and went with Spybot Search and Destroy.

I would suggest downloading Spybot S & D and running it. You do not have to risk deleting important files just to see what is on your system. If you choose you can use the program just to see if you are clean, anything you delete is at your own option.

Dave

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Re: Gator and Adaware (et al)

Curious if you tried spybot and what your results were.

Dave

Status
    Nope, haven't tried anything, yet. I'm having no problems right now. I just want to be informed in case I get the bug. It's a corporate laptop behind massive firewalls. I might try it on one of my machines at home, though.
    I did have "Zone Alarm" recommended by colleague who thinks it may be more of a preventative measure than an antidote.

Status
    From ZDNET today -

In an effort to improve its corporate reputation, adware company Gator has launched a legal offensive to divorce its name from the hated term "spyware"--and so far its strategy is paying off.
    In response to a libel lawsuit, an antispyware company has settled with Gator and pulled Web pages critical of the company, its practices and its software. And other spyware foes are getting the message.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5095051.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed

Administrator

Status

Thanks Zaire, I am almost ashamed to say that I have givin in to the (what appears to me to be) scare tactic and now have edited a few of my posts. Oh well, it beats having to remove the pages completely in order to avoid a million dollar suit.

Sadly, this is not the first suit gator has brought to those that question the ethics of the company, which in my opinion they have none, of course you should form your own opinions.

In August of 2001 Gator brought suit against the IAB, for what appeared to me to be retaliation against a suit filed by the Internet Advertising Bureau.

In my mind Gator is throwing their weight around. When a suit comes to this webmaster, and IMHO it will, I do not want to be in a position to have to back down.

just my opinion on the matter

Dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave

Hey, opinions are food for decision.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Thanks Zaire, I am almost ashamed to say that I have givin in to the (what appears to me to be) scare tactic and now have edited a few of my posts. Oh well, it beats having to remove the pages completely in order to avoid a million dollar suit.

Sadly, this is not the first suit gator has brought to those that question the ethics of the company, which in my opinion they have none, of course you should form your own opinions.

In August of 2001 Gator brought suit against the IAB, for what appeared to me to be retaliation against a suit filed by the Internet Advertising Bureau.

In my mind Gator is throwing their weight around. When a suit comes to this webmaster, and IMHO it will, I do not want to be in a position to have to back down.

Dave
    My opinion was long formed before I read anything here about them..

If they didn't have the tactics they did, there wouldn't be any hard feelings towards them.

If Gator was to go after you Dave, im sure many of us, as well as sorrunding communites would lend a hand...

I think this whole thing is garbage, like I stated before, they are at fault for what is being said against them.

It's ok to say stuff about public figures, why can't we say it about a public company with bad business practices?

New User

Status
    Spybot S&D

kthx

New User

Status
    spybot doesn't get half the stuff adaware does now.

New User

Status
    People at my forum have loved it

Be Yourself

Status
    I'm a webmaster not a legal expert, and I have the same question: why can't we talkin about adaware in a bad way without being sued? What happened to free speech? If only I lived in europe... don't tell me they can sue me there too? lol just some questions I thought Dave might know.

New User

Status
    How do you mean?

Be Yourself

Status
    we'll, even Dave said he had to modify some pages... what did he have that gator could sue him for? What kind of stuff do they look for, and why can they sue for that?

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by EDKHosting
    spybot doesn't get half the stuff adaware does now.

YOUR CRAZY!!! AND NOT ONLY THAT I PAID FOR AD-AWARE AND IT DIDNT CATCH OVER 500 FILES THAT SPYBOT S&D DID!!! SO WHEN I ASKED FOR MY $31.00 BACK FROM LAVASOFT THEY SAID NO.....SO NOW I AM HERE TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT AD-AWARE IS A FAKE PRODUCT AND DOES NOT WORK AS WELL AS SPYBOT! DONT PAY FOR IT IF YOU ARE IN LOVE WITH AD-AWARE THEN JUST USE THE FREE VRESION...BUT KEEP IN MIND ITS NOT STOPPING CRAP SO HAHA ON YOU IF YOU USE IT.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last