33 users online (0 members and 33 guests)  

Related

1. Greetings to all Ahfb2000 Members!    Forum: Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
  2. What's new at AHFB2000    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Thumbs up Roses to AHFB2000

The first thing I want to say is that I think your web site Forum is the best I have come across yet!! I posted a problem a few days ago and within 24 hours I had several responses which were clear and concise. I had my application going in no time.

Next, the reason I am here is to ask a question and give a little of my background. I need a recommendation for a book on HTML Web Site development. A book that covers HTML, Scripts, CSS and XML. It would be nice if the book struck a balance between explanation and examples.

I live out in western Wyoming and there are not many software types here. I am an old retired telecommunications programmer( X.25, ISDN, TCP/IP, etc.).
    About a year ago I started to set myself into ASP.NET web development and did a Master/Detail web site and then I modified an IBuySpyPortal and an IBuySpyEcomm application. Recently I committed myself to do a Master/Detail web site for an SPCA/animal shelter group as a service project. They don't have money for hosting so I am doing the development in HTML only so that the local ISP can host it. There is a good Internet infrastructure here(DSL and fiber cable) but relatively little expertise. I am beginning to think that there would be more of a need for HTML web site developers than for ASP.NET.

I have ordered a Frontpage 2003 Evaluation Package, but until that comes I am using Web Matrix which is a little awkward but useable. As long as I don't declare a page as .asp I get the code color coded. I haven't been able to run off the WM Server because it looks like the server caches my pages forever. I can, however, easily execute using IIS and IE6 browser. So, all in all it works O.K.. With your support, I am coming along pretty well, but I do need a good technical reference to get me up to speed.

Keep up the good work gentlemen, you're doing a great job.
    Regards
    WYDuane

Status

Thumbs up Great Site

I give a whole tropical garden of perpetually blooming flowers...not just roses.

I too am impressed with this site...
    Not only is the help timely...it is how it is provided...there seems to be sincerity in this site by persons who help, that I have not seen anywhere else...that is what I admire most.

I like the layout and the colours...and the features...

All in all it provides a great welcoming feeling.
    I wish to say thanx to the management and moderators and especially to Dave, QuietDean and Coothead, they are a treasure and great asset to the site.
    I am sure the others are as well, I just have not met them personally yet....

Just thought I should share that, because it is exactly how I feel.

Peace

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Thanks yall, not only to you for showing your appreciation, but to the folks that make it what it is by being so helpful.
    I need a recommendation for a book on HTML Web Site development. A book that covers HTML, Scripts, CSS and XML. It would be nice if the book struck a balance between explanation and examples.
    Good question, I too would like to hear everybodies favorites so I could make them available here.

Dave

Administrator

Status
    My favourite books are the O'Reilly books. I started off with one called "Webdesign in a nutshell".

Very kind words, I am blushing now
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    I've used HTML Complete http://www.sybex.com/sybexbooks.nsf/Booklist/2801?OpenDocument for a couple of years now. It's a good starter book and a decent reference for both the novice and intermediate programmer.
    From Sybex: Get up to speed with HTML, then move on to Web design and advanced Web languages such as JavaScript, DHTML, ASP, XML, and XHTML