39 users online (0 members and 39 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 0
  2. PR 3 thegoldshopper.com W/ Search Engine Installed    Forum: Websites For Sale
    Replies: 0
  3. Replies: 5
  4. Zone Alarm 3    Forum: Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0

Status

Question OK, so I've installed Zone Alarm and here goes....

OK, so I've gone and downloaded ZoneAlarm (the $0.00 version) on my play machine at home last night and now I'm giving it a test. My home page is Google. I came straight here and started getting a popup thing telling me that Zone alarm has blocked Internet access to your computer (ICMP Echo Request (Ping")) and gives me an IP address. There are a couple other different messages coming in as well.
    A search on this IP address at ARIN WHOIS says it's:
    OrgName: Clarion University of Pennsylvania and gives me a range of IP addresses that it is assigned. Each IP address that attempts access is within that range.
    Further down in the info it says NameServer: DNS.CLARION.EDU. Is this just a DNS server trying to communicate with my computer? Or is this cause for concern?
    It's happened about 20 times while typing this message. I don't know whether to click the "Don't show this dialog again" chechbox in the message?
    Oh the latest is something about "wauboot.exe(sp?) first attempt to access the internet. The heading says something about Microsoft auto updates.
    I guess Zone alarm works. But is it working OK? The tutorial is crap.
    Good learning experience for a self proclaimed techie I might add....
    Comments/advice?
    Last edited by Android; 10-28-2003 at 09:22 PM.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Hmmm,Though I am probably not answering any of your questions, I can give a little more info to go on.

I have verified wauboot is related to "some" auto update function, I do not think it is windows but more than likely Zone Alarm.

In regards to the constant popups, your post sounds like it is ahfb only, is this the case?

Further down in the info it says NameServer: DNS.CLARION.EDU. Is this just a DNS server trying to communicate with my computer? Or is this cause for concern?
    Sounds like it may be the nameserver, but not knowing the exact details of how zone alarm works I am not sure. I can assure you there is no cause from concern in regards to ahfb.

Any Zone Alarm users that can fill in the blanks???

Dave

Administrator

Status
    Some attempted to connect to your pc. In these days of Blaster worms etc this happens with depressing frequency.

If you tick 'Dont show this dialog again' it will continue to protect you, it just wont popup every time.

Mines only been installed 2 months or so, and look -

210967 Intrusions blocked since install
    6103 of them have been high-rated
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status

Smile ZA - my experience

I too have been using ZoneAlarm...
    On one machine I have the paid option and on the other I have the unpaid option.
    They both work the same, pretty much...and I think unless you are an enterprise...the unpaid version is very efffective.

I have been using this now for about a year and a half.
    I started using the unpaid option, in the beginning because
    I was told that I was vulnerable, by a chatroom companion in Australia, who said I had a million ports open and accessible...and that he could see them, and access my machine, and he did.

He then gave me data that he accessed on my machine...

I downloaded the unpaid option and use the same time, and then he said he could not access the ports anymore.
    He also asked me to look for a particular dialog that ZoneAlarm would show me that told that he was trying to access my machine.
    I was surprised at the number of attempts being made that was reported, and that was not reported before, neither did I know about it.
    I am sure now that they are minimised to probably none...however much, again I am satisfied with what I know.

It was a rude but valuable awakening.
    I have turned my dialogs off, so I do not get the pop-up reports.
    I have also set the permissions...so that for 99% of the programmes, I have to permit their outgoing and incoming activity.

I would not swear by it, but I would easily recommend it as working...and very good.
    What I do not know LOL, is whether it is one of those programmes that calls home like ET. !

My experience, in short is positive...it does what is says...and probably some of what to does not say.
    For the time being I do not know what the trade-off is...perhaps one day soon I will know.
    Then again I am not a techie...so someone else may have the opposite experience, and may be able to tell me what I may be missing, or trading off in using ZA.

Peace
    Last edited by wahid; 10-29-2003 at 09:40 AM.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I can assure you there is no cause from concern in regards to ahfb.
    Dave
    I didn't think so....
    I know about all the "internet background noise" and anything with IP addresses constantly pinging each other. I sort of thought that this might be what's happening. Interesting to see what corporate firewalls are dealing with every second (millisecond?).

New User

Status

Icmp

i used zone alarm with windows xp, and i can surf the internet with no problems but when i boot my PC to win98.. i got connected to my dial-up connection but i cant surf the web.. these ICMP something keeps on poping.. and on my browser it says" page cant be displayed(dns error)" i tried to ping dns or a website it gives me request timed out..
    these are the possible alerts:

The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (ICMP Echo Request ('Ping')) from 202.xx.xx.xx

pls help me!!!

any response is highly appreciated!!! tnx!!!

Administrator

Status
    hi,

if your having a serious problem with ZoneAlarm, you will be better off contacting ZoneAlarms support service.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietDean
    hi,

if your having a serious problem with ZoneAlarm, you will be better off contacting ZoneAlarms support service.
    hi dean.. tnx for your advise.. but im located here in d philippines.. their phone support is a 1-800 number...

any thought regarding this?

Administrator

Status
    They have a support forum too - http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/userForum/userForum_agreement.jsp

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietDean
    They have a support forum too - http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/userForum/userForum_agreement.jsp
    thanks...
    amanda