37 users online (0 members and 37 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 6
  2. Website Design.    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    New User

Status

Thumbs up Fixed site...thanks for the help!

Last edited by 4kaz; 11-11-2003 at 12:41 AM.

Status

Talking

You could use frames or iframes. Iframes would probably be easier. You just have to replace the info in the table you want to be able to scroll with something like :
    Code:
    <iframe src="main.html"></iframe>
    and put the table you're replacing into it's own html document (in my example it would be called main.html) like this:
    Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Sarnia Sting.....</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <!-- 
    Your main info here that you want within the iframe.
    -->
    </body>
    </html>
    Did you check out the frames tutorials here at AHFB, or at W3Schools?
    I did a search in FrontPage 2000 for iframes and it doesn't even mention them, but there is alot of info there about how to set up a frameset document. Unfortunately, it would mean practically re-writing the whole site. That's why I think that iframes would be easier.
    Let us know if you run into problems....

Status

Frames in a nutshell

I would recommend doing a basic quickie framed site so you can see what's required coding wise, but here's what happens:
    When you load the frameset (your index.html), it will be calling for certain HTML documents to be loaded into those frames (header.html, footer.html, left contents.html, and main.html. Each of the frames described in the frameset will need a name (for ease, use header, footer, left contents, and main).
    Example:
    <frame src="left contents.html" name="left contents" >
    <frame src="main.html" name="main" >
    The left content.html will have a list of links (anchors) in it. All those anchors must have target="_main".
    Example of "left content.html" code:
    <a href="main.html" target="main">HOME PAGE</a>
    <a href="news.html" target="main">NEWS AND INFO</a>
    <a href="team.html" target="main">MEET THE TEAM</a>
    <!-- ....etc.....-->
    See the pattern? All the links are linking to different documents and displaying them in the frame named "main". (If the information to be displayed is more than the area can hold, then scrollbars are automatically inserted.) That's about it in a nutshell.....if you have any more questions feel *ree to ask away!
    Last edited by Android; 11-10-2003 at 12:45 PM.

Status

Talking

The document called
    "http://home.cogeco.ca/~novice_ae/index.html" is the index page of the site. You will have to set up a frameset html document as the new index page of the site. All the other frames within that frameset will be a different html document. Therefore, you're going to need five (5) html documents for the home page:
    1. index.html (your frameset describing the page frame layout)
    2. header.html (the header of the page)
    3. footer.html (the footer of the page)
    4. contents left.html (the list of links aka your menu system)
    5. main.html (the main body of the webpage)

In the "index.html" (your frameset) you have <frame src="contents left.html">.
    In the "contents left.html" document you have a list of links (your menu system).
    All those links must have target="main" in them in order to display the correct html document in the content frame like so (using your example):

Code:
    <tr>
    <td align="CENTER" width="140" height="16">
    <font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2" style="color: #ffffff"><b>
    <a class="NavBar" 
    href="http://home.cogeco.ca/~novice_ae/index.html" 
    style="text-decoration: none" 
    target="main">
    Home</a></b></font></td>
    </tr>
    This will make the page named http://home.cogeco.ca/~novice_ae/index.html load in the frame named "main" because it has a target of "main" in the anchor tag. This is why I recommended a couple of tutorials on frames, and maybe try doing up a framed site on your own. Dissecting an existing site (especially a FrontPage production) isn't a straightforward process, unless you know what you're doing. That's why I also thought iframes would be more up your alley.
    A little clearer?
    PS I see the team's doing quite well....