25 users online (2 members and 23 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 1
  2. ajax validation    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. Replies: 4
  4. Form validation - please help!    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 3

Status

W3C.org validation + Flash tags

Hi folks,

I tossed up where to put this question but settled on here.. anyway I'm having a small crisis in relation to inserting flash tags into my document and subsequently passing the w3c.org validator. Some flash stuff I can get through but others will not - it seems very capricious as it's fundamentally the same method I use.
    I've read around on the topic but like many things, you get conflicting opinions. Seeing as you guys have been more than helpful (and right) in the past, I was wondering if anyone knew of the "correct" method for HTML 4.01 markup. Currently I use something along the lines of:

Code:
    <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=4,0,0,0" ID=Untitled WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=400>
    <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="filename.swf">
    <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high>
    <PARAM NAME=loop VALUE=false>
    <EMBED src="filename.swf" loop=false quality=high 
    WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=400 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" 
    PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">
    </EMBED>
    </OBJECT>
    Oh, in case you're wondering my problem: the validator (sometimes) picks up on attributes such as: quality, height, type, pluginspac, loop etc. On a side note I seem to have more success when incorp. flash tags within various Java scripts.. could this be a way/wise? Thanks for any help

Administrator

Status
    Hi dead,

Once again, my favorite html article site comes out -

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

Its an article on producing valid flash code. Sounds like what you need!
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Dean I could kiss you! Well maybe not that far, but that article has simultaneously solved two of my main flash follies (you may notice from my reaction that this has been bugging me a long time). It's perfect for sticklers like me who simply must pass all code through w3c whilst caring about non-IE users and also it's a MUCH simplified way of substituting images for non-flash users. So far I've run into no troubles with Netscape etc either with the smaller code and lack of <embed> tags. It's a must read.
    Thanks again!

Administrator

Status
    np. Thank the site, they are great over there
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Status
    I posted this link on another forum (sharing the knowledge ) and received a reply saying that the method outlined in the article wouldn't work on a Mac. Any ideas on whether this is correct or not?

Administrator

Status
    eek me & mac = no clue

Status

Flash method and Macs

Hi Enigma,

My friend is coming over in the next day or two with his Mac, so I'll be sure to let you know how my flash turns out in Safari etc with these tags, and see if he can offer some help on the Mac side of things - that's his area and not mine! lol.

Status
    Thanks. I'm not a Mac user anymore, but thought I'd pass on the info from the poster in my forum.