31 users online (1 members and 30 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 3
  2. Replies: 1
  3. Replies: 1
  4. Replies: 10

Status

Assign Value to Hidden Control...on the fly?

Is there a way to assign a value to a Hidden control on the fly? That is, I want to assign a value to a hidden input type after I receive the value later. OR...is there some other way that I can assign a value to something that can be submitted when the form is submitted? Thanks all!!!!!

Administrator

Status
    Hi,

You can assign a value to a hidden form element using JavaScript, exactly the same way you would do it for any other input type.

heres a simple example with then values alerted via javascript so you can see whats going on -
    Code:
    <form name="badger">
    <input type="hidden" name="stoat" value="greebo">
    </form>

<a href="#" onClick="document.badger.stoat.value='HUNGRY';alert(document.badger.stoat.value); return false;">EEEEK</a>

<script language="JavaScript">
    alert(document.badger.stoat.value);
    </script>
    badger and stoat are just the names I used for the form and input, in case your wondering
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietDean
    Hi,

You can assign a value to a hidden form element using JavaScript, exactly the same way you would do it for any other input type.

heres a simple example with then values alerted via javascript so you can see whats going on -
    Code:
    <form name="badger">
    <input type="hidden" name="stoat" value="greebo">
    </form>

<a href="#" onClick="document.badger.stoat.value='HUNGRY';alert(document.badger.stoat.value); return false;">EEEEK</a>

alert(document.badger.stoat.value);
    </script>
    badger and stoat are just the names I used for the form and input, in case your wondering
    If I wanted to use a string variable in place of stoat, how would I rewrite the line: document.badger.stoat.value? In other words, if the variable THIS is equal to "stoat", would it be written something like: document.badger.('THIS').value?

Also, what is the "alert" line doing?

Thanks so much!!!!

Administrator

Status
    Hiya,

all 'stoat' is is the name of your input. So if the name of your input is written as a string value using some server-side language such as asp or php, you will have to use the same string in the JavaScript.

If your string variable is coming from JavaScript, then it gets a little trickier.

All the 'alert' line is doing is telling us what the value of the input is, so we can tell when its changed.

Heres the same code, but with 'stoat' being dynamically replaced with an ASP variable called 'myVar' -

Code:
    form name="badger">
    <input type="hidden" name="<%=myVar%>" value="greebo">
    </form>

<a href="#" onClick="document.badger.<%=myVar%>.value='HUNGRY';alert(document.badger.<%=myVar%>.value); return false;">EEEEK</a>

alert(document.badger.<%=myVar%>.value);
    </script>
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?