27 users online (1 members and 26 guests)  

Related

1. Old Computer For Sale (Desktop)    Forum: Barter/Trade
    Replies: 0
  2. Replies: 1
  3. Replies: 1

Status

Question Unknown file on desktop appears.....

I've searched here and at other forums on this topic because I know I've seen it discussed before.
    Sometimes a file named ~ appears on my desktop. I've opened it in Wordpad (too big for Notepad) to see if I can decipher it's origin. I think it's related to my email client somehow, as it has email addresses and things from the address book in it.
    Does anybody know what it is? Virus? Quirkware? Harmless?
    I can delete it and it stays in the recycle bin. I've had three in the last couple of weeks, but there's been a few over the last six months or so......

Administrator

Status
    The only time I have seen ~ files has been MS Office backup files. Shouldn't be on your desktop tho. Try putting the full filename in google. Also, whe it 'appears' get your task manager up and check the processes running.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    That's just it. They're all called "~" (no filename, no extension). I thought of sticking them in a folder, but I would have to rename them something unique as they are all called "~". There's no indication of what is creating them. She doesn't have Office. (She uses Outlook Express and MSWorks.)
    BTW, I'm the one who notices them. She's monitoring the situation at home, but she thinks that maybe they're appearing when she adds somebody to her 'address book'.
    It's no big deal and I can delete them, but I'd just like to know where they're coming from and whether they should have a different destination.

Status

Talking Looky what I found.......

http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml
    It's a Microsoft bug. Imagine that. A bug.
    LOL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Android
    http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml
    It's a Microsoft bug. Imagine that. A bug.
    LOL
    That isn't always the case... when your working in word, and are able to view hidden files, you will see a ~ file associated with word... it's a backup of the current document you are working on.

Eric

Status

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Zaire
    That isn't always the case... when your working in word, and are able to view hidden files, you will see a ~ file associated with word... it's a backup of the current document you are working on.

Eric
    Yeah, I know about those kinds of files. They're temp files that are created if you've got the auto-saving feature activated and they disappear when the application is closed up.
    This particular issue is with Outlook, and the files (backups of the address book)only appear on the desktop (not hidden).
    Funny thing, though: I didn't know that you can have several files named exactly the same thing in the Recycle bin?
    Still waiting for the patch........
    Hope everyone had a happy holiday season and are ready for the new year!