38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 4
    New User

Status

Naming Conventions

Does having an uppercase naming convention affect your Search Engine Ranking.

For Example

ContactUs.asp or contact_us.asp

This is the subject of hot debate in our department at the moment, sad i know. Do web spiders have an issue with this.

I have always been used to using lower case with under score.

Any idea guys

Sheraz

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    upper case or lower case makes no difference.

Dave

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    upper case or lower case makes no difference.

Dave

What about the underscores I thought that web crawlers searched used the words as apart of its algorithms.

so for example a web crawler would cash say glosssary_of_terms.asp but would not understand GlossaryOfTerms.asp.

Any truth to this Dave.

Also any tips on how to learn more about SEO, Im totally fascinated by the whole thing.

Cheers for your help thus fare.

Sheraz

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Lets go back a couple of years when the -dash- craze began, people abused it by putting up spam pages with worthless I-could-not-get-the-domain-without-the-dashes.com domains. These folks did very well for a short while but it was bound to happen that google would devalue these domains, which they have. I decided to experiment with the forums here by using underscores instead, webmaster_help_desk. IMO, though I have done well with the underscores, I could have done better with webmasterhelpdesk. Search engines do not have any problem pulling out the words without dashes or underscores.

Learning about search engines is a tough thing to do as true facts are impossible to come by. Imagine Google stating "If you do A, B and C, you will rank on the front page". Well with 100,000 sites competeing it would only work for 1/100th of 1 percent. You also need to consider that SEO, ethical or not, is the enemy of search engines, they want to rank sites according to "natural" criteria.

In short, learning about the search engines is a constant task, the rules are always changing, as are peoples assumptions of what the rules are. I myself spend a minimum of an hour every day reading on nothing else but search engines, the day you think you have them figured out and quit learning will be the day you get wiped out.

Dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Lets go back a couple of years when the -dash- craze began, people abused it by putting up spam pages with worthless I-could-not-get-the-domain-without-the-dashes.com domains. These folks did very well for a short while but it was bound to happen that google would devalue these domains, which they have. I decided to experiment with the forums here by using underscores instead, webmaster_help_desk. IMO, though I have done well with the underscores, I could have done better with webmasterhelpdesk. Search engines do not have any problem pulling out the words without dashes or underscores.

Learning about search engines is a tough thing to do as true facts are impossible to come by. Imagine Google stating "If you do A, B and C, you will rank on the front page". Well with 100,000 sites competeing it would only work for 1/100th of 1 percent. You also need to consider that SEO, ethical or not, is the enemy of search engines, they want to rank sites according to "natural" criteria.

In short, learning about the search engines is a constant task, the rules are always changing, as are peoples assumptions of what the rules are. I myself spend a minimum of an hour every day reading on nothing else but search engines, the day you think you have them figured out and quit learning will be the day you get wiped out.

Dave
    So basically, you would do better with webmasterhelpdesk than with 'webmaster_help_desk'

I read that using '-' was alot better with sites, and have seen it on a handful of successful sites (mostly Aspen from SPF)

-Eric

Administrator

Status

I know aspen has done very well, hopefully he has not been affected like the tons of folks who have been complaining on various boards.

Dave