46 users online (1 members and 45 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 1
  2. nested table relative column alignment    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. 100% Height on nested DIVs?    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 3
  4. Variable width nested divs    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 0
  5. nested divs in mozilla...    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Nested Divs instead of table

Greetings. I've lurked a bit and seen nothing on this specific issue so please bear with as I describe my problem:

I am redesigning a site. Working from GLISH's 3 column concept with header and footer, I have a series of divs:

Container
    left-nav
    contents
    footer

Problem is, I need to array information within the Content Div side-by-side -- something a table is perfect for. I cannot get this to work with a

Container
    left-nav
    contents
    left-col
    right-col
    footer

arrangement. I'm no CSS wiz but I'm grabbing code liberally off the web (god bless Mozilla's tabs!) and so far I've failed with absolute positioning, floats, clear:none, position: absolute (for left-col) and +200px (for right-col).

I'm working within Dreamweaver but am mostly playing in the codeviewer function for better control and at times the results are frightening.

Ideas? I'm hesitant to toss my code here because it is such a jumbled mess at this point.

Thanks

Bush, Ted Bush

No, I'm not related.

Administrator

Status
    Hi there, welcome to the forums.

If you wish to display data in a tabular format...use a table thats what they were originally for, and there is no point avoiding them for the sake of it.
    I know how you feel (my css designs are 'table-free') but if you need a table for the use it is designed for, go for it
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?