Thread: Possible textarea glitch and IE
Results 1 to 5 of 5
12-27-2003, 08:04 PM #1
Possible textarea glitch and IE
Do you know of any character limit glitch with IE6 SP1 for an html <TEXTAREA>?
It seems like if I put a lot of text (somewhere around the 1690 number, but plus or minus a character) in a textarea, the form doesn't even submit. However, when the same form is tested in the browser Opera with the same amount of characters (or even more characters for that matter) it submits the form just fine. Also, as you've probably guessed already, if I am using IE, I can put in a smaller amount of text in the textarea and it submits just fine. Odd.
<form name=add_form action=test6.php><TABLE border=0 align=center width=100% bgcolor=white cellpadding=5><TR><TD>
<textarea cols=80 rows=10 name=header></textarea><br>
<INPUT TYPE=image SRC=images/buttons/add.jpg ALT=add VALUE=add name=add>
12-27-2003, 08:33 PM #2
In IE I am not aware of any issue.
As far as the code, with everything default there is no limit. Did you write the script or did you find it? I have a feeling that the script has some code which limits it, code not being cross-browser.
12-27-2003, 08:41 PM #3
Hey Dave, thanks for responding!
The code is some PHP that I've been developing and it seems like the PHP code is what is causing the problem. If I try just a simple HTML page with a textarea, the form submits with HUGE chunks of text. So it's got to be some limiting factor of my PHP code.
12-27-2003, 09:57 PM #4
I'm just learning PHP, but as far as I know, isn't it the PHP page that gives the OUTPUT?
If this is so then it would be the INPUT, or the html file, that is causing the the problem.
Try not placing a limit on the textarea, because the way you're describing it, it only doesn't submit if you place the maximum amount, in which case it might also be solved by placing the maxamount as what you want it to be + 1, then placing a notice saying it only can be as many as you want it to be, or put that in the code.
12-28-2003, 01:49 AM #5
Thanka ya kindly all! I found out what my problem was. Once I added method=post in the form tag, that took care of my problem. I didn't have any method defined previously (i thought it just defaulted to post), but once I added the method attribute that took care of the whole shebang!