68 users online (0 members and 68 guests)  

Related

1. Replies: 3
  2. Replies: 8
  3. Replies: 0
  4. Error MySQL Error: 1064 - subqueries    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 0
  5. 404 error page problems    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
    New User

Status

Newbie with an error message - HELP PLEASE

My boss just asked me to research an error that he received from our web page. I was wondering if you have seen it before, and may have an idea how to fix it. Our Systems Administrator who would normally take care of this is no longer working here.

SERVER ERROR IN '/' APPLICATION

Runtime Error

DESCRIPTION: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

DETAILS: To enable the details of this specific eror message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customError> tag within a "web.cnfig" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Confirguration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

NOTES: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

I appreciate any assitance you can provide.

Thanks,
    Gary

Administrator

Status
    Hi there,

If the webserver is a 'local' machine (ie in your building) then the easiest (and securist) way to see the error message is to log onto the web server itself, actually in front of it. Then goto the webpage using 'localhost' as the server name. It will then give you the actual error message instead of an excuse for one
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietDean
    Hi there,

If the webserver is a 'local' machine (ie in your building) then the easiest (and securist) way to see the error message is to log onto the web server itself, actually in front of it. Then goto the webpage using 'localhost' as the server name. It will then give you the actual error message instead of an excuse for one

New User

Status
    Dean, the webserver is a local machine. The error I posted is the one that the web server is showing. Our website gives customers the option of viewing and selecting a schedule of work that we are doing for them. When the customer logs on to the site, they select the job that they would like a copy of their schedule. They enter the date for the report they want and click a submit button. Once the submit button is clicked, the error pops up. Hope this helps.

Administrator

Status
    Hiya,

Its not actually an error. Its a message telling you that you cannot view the error.

However, if you access the machine locally (eg actually sitting down with the webserver machine itself, not from a different machine) then it will give you the proper message instead of the one above. Does that make sense?
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

New User

Status
    Yes. I am pulling the website up from my computer - database administrator. You are suggesting that I go to the actual servier itself. correct? Does it give a more detailed message?

Administrator

Status
    yep. Its a security setting. The actual server itself will give a complete message.

New User

Status

web page error

Our web page was designed by our Systems Administrator, who is no longer here. We are receiving an error message when our customers are trying to log on to our webpage. I have been asked to research and take care of the issue. My exposure / experience with web pages is very novice at this point. Can you please help me?

Here's the scenario - Customer opens our webpage - www.integratedbook.com - go to Customer Tools - Schedule Access - customer enters username and password - they can order a copy of a schedule of work that we are doing for them. They are required to enter a date they would like the work done and they press a "submit" button. When the button is pressed, the below error message is received.

Can someone please explain what this message means and how to correct it? Please keep in mind that I am a novice.

Thanks in advance

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

New User

Status

Web Page ERROR - HELP PLEASE

Our web page was designed by our Systems Administrator, who is no longer here. We are receiving an error message when our customers are trying to log on to our webpage. I have been asked to research and take care of the issue. My exposure / experience with web pages is very novice at this point. Can you please help me?

Here's the scenario - Customer opens our webpage - www.integratedbook.com - go to Customer Tools - Schedule Access - customer enters username and password - they can order a copy of a schedule of work that we are doing for them. They are required to enter a date they would like the work done and they press a "submit" button. When the button is pressed, the below error message is received.

Can someone please explain what this message means and how to correct it? Please keep in mind that I am a novice.

Thanks in advance

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Administrator

Status
    Okay, I have merged your cross-posted, identical copies of your original post with your original post.

Did you follow the advice above? Seems odd to re-post if you havent tried what was already specified.

New User

Status
    Dean,

I tried what was specified above, however, the error still exists. Looking for additional feedback.

Administrator

Status
    By trying the procedure above, you should get a different message (because your on the console).

Did that happen?