53 users online (0 members and 53 guests)  

Related

1. How to Install PPTP VPN on CentOS Server (Linux)    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Replies: 0
  3. Replies: 0
  4. Replies: 0
  5. Linux & Server: The early years    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 0

Status

Linux & Server: The early years

I've been very busy for some time now and have generally neglected my computer duties (*gasp*), but since the Linux conference was at my university last month and I skulked around in corners (I needed to go to the library ok? Not really.. I was being a sadcase but it was neat) my enthusiasm for actually seriously using my linux system has regenerated.

Anyone run a server on Linux here (she asks knowing full well "yes")? If so, what's ur setup? I'm using a stripped down & tailored Mandrake version (hard 2 explain) for the moment because Apache killed my kids and it was all nice and automated for a linux-dullard like me. But I like to grow.. and I'm just curious to hear ur esteemed advice on what u use n why it works for u.

Oooh I get 5 gold stars for originality on THAT question *rolls eyes* nevermind.

Administrator

Status
    I dont use linux, but I have a server running FreeBSD UNIX at home. Its fully linux-compatible, so there is not much difference.

One advantage is the ports system. Once installed, its very easy to install any software you need and all their dependants.

eg, I did make install in /usr/ports/www/mod_php4 and it installed apache first as it was dependant.

Other than that, I just use a router to point any web & ftp requests direct to this box and its all up and running.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Linux Kicks Ass!
    Just my two cents!