37 users online (1 members and 36 guests)  

Related

1. Resizing Pictures    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. Window resizing, again    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. resizing resolution    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Resizing a Window    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 2
  5. Automatically Re-loading a page...?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 16
    New User

Status

Unhappy Resizing from fullscreen AND loading a new page

Hi to all.
    I am pretty new to page building and to this forum and I know I am stretching my capabilities but here is what I am attempting to do......btw sorry bout the length of the post but I wanted to be as clear as possible.

I have a friend who runs a guesthouse where he provides no-cost internet access for his guests and he wanted a menu system and guest information guide for his guests to read when they sit down at the computer so we designed a nifty little home page to keep on his system which contains links to all the info about the guesthouse and the local area, rules for using the net ...etc.

In order to stop people skipping it all and just going straight onto the net the pages have been made to open fullscreen with everything else (nav bars, address bar, scrolls etc. turned off).......it all works fine up to the point where I want to let them access the net. At this point I need to open a new page in the same window as my fullscreen window and have it bring back all the missing bits so they can navigate their way around the net.
    Any ideas?
    Thanking you in advance,
    drongo

Administrator

Status
    Hiya, welcome to the forums.

Long posts are good, it means we know all the info we need

Wouldn't it be easier to to just close the full-screen window? you can do this with

Code:
    <a href="javascript:void(0);" onClick="self.close()">close window</a>
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Hiya Dean,
    Thanks for the quick reply and yeah I had considered that approach and even had it working but the reasons I want to try and do it differently are these.

The computer at the guesthouse is always switched on and always connected to the net but we want to set and lock the home page to the first fullscreen page of the in-house menu/info pages.
    The reasoning behind this is that many of the guests simply want info about the local area and it's attractions, closing times of the stores in town....etc. and we want to make sure (as much as possible) that all of the guests read at least some of the info pages.

When a guest finally gets to a page containing a link allowing them to break out of the fullscreen menu system and surf the net they are asked to make sure they click the home button when they are finished so that it will return to the first page again. This is so that each time a new person sits down at the computer they are greeted with the menu/info pages.

I know it's simpler to just open a new window over the top of my menu sytem and urge them to close all their windows when they are finished but I was hoping to make it just a little more elegant than that if possible.
    So we are back to square one again.
    Any thoughts?
    Regards,
    Drongo

Administrator

Status
    Sure, I think we can work something out. I have only just got in from seeing a sick friend so its time for bed for me. I will look back here tommorow to drum up some code, if thats okay.

If I forget, just bump the topic.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Administrator

Status
    Thanks for the reminder

Right, opening the full screen 'kiosk mode' is easy, put this code in your homepage

Code:
    body onLoad="javascript:window.open('news.html', '', 'fullscreen=yes, scrollbars=auto');"
    I don't recommend this 'trick' to anyone else, its a horrible thing to do but your use for it in a private environment is valid.

To break back to 'normal surfing', just add a link at the bottom of yuor kiosk page, like

Code:
    <a href="test.html" target="_blank">normal surfing</a>
    This will popup a 'normal' window for the user to browse in.

Administrator

Status
    oh, in case you get stuck, Alt+f4 will close the Kiosk window.

New User

Status

Thumbs up Many Thanks

Thanks Dean,
    I'll try it out tomorrow (getting late here and time for bed)
    All the best,
    Drongo

New User

Status

It works.......but

Thanks Dean,
    One final question (for now.... lol).
    Is it possible to "rechrome" the "kiosk" window that they are in?

Drongo

Administrator

Status
    Hi drongo,

as far as I know, you cannot put back window elements afterwards.
    A workaorund would be opening a new window, then closing the fullscreen window behind it. Like this -

Code:
    <a href="test.html" target="_blank" onclick="self.close()">normal surfing</a><br>
    That should work.

New User

Status

Thumbs up Thanks Heaps! It works!!!....but

Thanks a lot for your time Dean and your suggestion works fine when running in fullscreen or "kiosk" mode but it brings up that annoying little "Page trying to close window" warning when running in a normal window.
    In the application that I am using it (ie. fullscreen) this is not a problem but funnily enough I did find a workaround for that message also.
    It can be found here: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/PrintSearchContent.asp?LINKID=485 if anyone is interested.
    Thanks again,
    drongo

Administrator

Status
    Nice one. Thanks for letting us know.

New User

Status
    Harlo, I need a bit help here... can u help me solve the fullscreen mode of closing the whole window....

cuz i separate it on 2 framesets =)
    here are the links iv uploaded!~~

www.geocities.com/bcsuwsong