36 users online (0 members and 36 guests)  

Related

1. Get Your Hands on These 3 Automated Websites!    Forum: Websites For Sale
    Replies: 0
  2. Replies: 3
  3. Automated page duplication    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
    New User

Status

Automated page duplication

Hi,

It's a long story, but I have to have two pages that are exactly the same on my web site. I wish to only update one, and that the other be automatically updated.

How can I do that?

PS If you're curious as to why, I have an index.html page, and a "photo3.html" page. Most of my incoming links are to this latter page, but it's not frequently looked at by the searchbots... the index page is looked at every couple of days. So I want to optimize the index page for the search engines, but have that content on the page people enter the site... all this, without a pesky "re-direct!"

Thanks ahead!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Personally I would find content relevant to the file name "photo3.html". You should be sure to link to top level pages.

Having the duplicate pages will generally cause google to disregard the duplicate. This means that the PR that the page would normally inherit is no longer counted. By keeping the page but with seperate content google will spider it and the PR will only help your site as a whole.

Dave

New User

Status

Wink

I don't mind if the duplicated page doesn't count, I'm not trying to fool the spiders! Just that right now, in practice, there are two portal pages that are in use.

I want the real portal to be index.html - because that's where the spiders go.

Unfortunately, most incoming links go straight to photo3.html.

Whether users come into the site through one page or the other, I want to "feed" them the same info and links etc.

Everytime I add a new stained glass pattern (that's what my site is: http://chantalstainedglass.50megs.com), which is a few times a week, I don't want to update 2 pages but 1.

There's got to be a simple code to do this...

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    So I want to optimize the index page for the search engines, but have that content on the page people enter the site... all this, without a pesky "re-direct!"
    I don't mind if the duplicated page doesn't count, I'm not trying to fool the spiders
    I said nothing about how to "fool" the spiders, I discussed how to optimize in a 100% ethical fashion, which is what I understood you to want.

Updating 2 pages at 1 time with the same content could probably only be accomplished through the use of a CMS which is written in a way such as to allow this. Using a CMS will usually hinder your rankings so be sure to use mod-rewrite to alter the long dynamic urls. That is if you desire to optimize after all.

Dave