38 users online (0 members and 38 guests)  

Thread: Six Questions

Related

1. some php questions    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. 3 questions    Forum: CGI Perl Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. How to do this in CSS? A few questions.    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 0
  4. Some questions...    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 10
  5. Questions...    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1

Status

Thumbs up Six Questions

Peace All
    Hi

I have been thinking...
    Is it possble to have a webste site (not just pages)that has no toolbars, no location bars, no status bar, no menu bar?

Is it legal, ethical?
    How would it be accomplished.?

Any Advantages?
    Any disadvantages?
    Perhaps I should stop thinking, do you think so?

Any and every response is very welcome and appreciated.
    Thanx

Peace
    Wahid
    Last edited by wahid; 02-19-2004 at 12:54 PM.

Administrator

Status
    Wow, lots of questions so I will whizz through them -

1) yes, see http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_he...ead.php?t=2782
    2) yes, no in most cases
    3) again, see http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_he...ead.php?t=2782
    4) Only if you have unethical aims in mind
    5) Its loses you friends and even relatives
    6) No. There is a critical shortage of thinkers in the world. Don't make it worse by stopping
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status

Thumbs up Great

Peace
    LOL...

Thanx Quiet Dean
    Very Detailed and useful response as usual
    I take your very succinct but clear advice on the family and friends issue...and I do not have many to begin with...LOL.
    I think(there I go again) I will give this thinking thing a break though....LOL

Re: Links
    You know I read that link and response before...but I was not clear on issue...
    I now understand it clearly.

Thanx again
    Peace

New User

Status
    just a comment.. when i first started working on sites, i wanted nothing more than to get out of the IE/Netscape/etc windows, cause well, i didn't like them.. but then i thought about how i felt when i visited a site that didn't have these elements, and most of the sites that didn't have them made me feel as though i had lost a lot of control while browsing the site. each time you take away an element, you also take away control that the user has when visiting your site.

for instance, all these annoying pop up ads, some which take the whole screen, there's nothing more frustrating than trying to get rid of them. so if you take away an important element (scrollbars aren't that important as long as people can view your entire page without scrolling), you may want to replace it with something similar that will return control to the user.

just my thoughts..

Status

Thumbs up Thanx Antithesis

Peace

Comment noted and appreciated.

I also understand the issue of removing control from the browser and that it can alienate users.
    I also take QuietDean's point as an important statement on the ethics of control, and I am not really consdering it.

Business Process
    I am sure however that if a business process required removing some standard possibilties that would optmise message and user friendliness, I would defintely explore doing so, hopefully tastefully and successfully...LOL.

Another Consideration
    Having said that here is some addtional musing, on my part, and a counterpoint to consider.

I do believe however that if I have a site I have it for a reason...which is the mission critical purpose for the site and its sole reason for existence.

If that requires that certain things are presented and others not, as it concerns standard web browsing, then so be it.

Hopefully the business process which drives the site would have been an informed one(metrics, polls or studies) and would empower the targeted users, and maximse user satisfaction, site purpose etc.

Sure some persons will be alienated, but that is the price of targeting, you win some, you lose some.

I thought it was necessary to say that, so others are not misled into thnking that we should not tweak browsers here and there where it is beneficial to all, or the message do so.

Not Considering It
    Additionally, I only raised the issue because, I am sure I was on a site yesterday, and had that lonely and powerless feeling... .

After all these are only standards which are not shackles, or God knows we would not have had an Internet.
    Personally I think standards are a method of some kind of engineering which is usually industry specific, and in this case it is technological.

I may as well add that the level of interactivity seems to be on a path, that would allow the internet to come to us in a few years. LOL...
    You know how lazy we are.

Net Interactivty - Thoughtless as opposed to Thought Driven Surfing
    Just recently a couple of colleagues said they would love to see an internet which is clickless LOL...imagine that...!?
    Another said he wished he could just use speech...

At this point I could not help but add that pretty soon we may see persons wishing for a Thought driven or a thoughtless!! internet....
    Think of it.... thoughtless!! .
    Perhaps we already have a thoughtless internet. LOL

Thanx for your post, and your comment...I take your instructions, have benefitted from your input

Peace
    Wahid
    Last edited by wahid; 02-19-2004 at 08:54 PM.