41 users online (1 members and 40 guests)  

Related

1. Microsoft Expression Web    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Do you want to send this error to Microsoft?    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 0
  3. microsoft error    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 2

Status

Lightbulb Microsoft threat to discontinue Windows 98 and NT operating systems

Peace
    Hi All

Saw this thought would share it here.
    Seems to me that this is not personal, just business as usual.

Personally I think Microsoft has this right, after it has all the headaches...perhaps the wealth gleaned from market share is justfied...fair dinkum

Microsoft threat to discontinue Windows 98 and NT operating systems

By Kerem Kaya and Mike Ingram
    19 February 2004

The decision by Microsoft to stop supporting its previous generation of Windows Operating Systems (OSs), Windows 98 and NT, has resulted in a market reaction leading to the long-term postponement of the decision.

In simple terms, an OS is that part of a computer system that makes the user applications, such as word processors, email programs, games, etc., work on a particular computer hardware. The OS is as critical as the computer hardware itself. The average user only becomes aware of the OS they are using in relation to the applications which run on it. Microsoft has a substantial monopoly in the desktop market through its Windows family of operating systems and has used this to establish a dominant position for its business applications such as Microsoft Office.
    More
    Slow uptake of Windows XP

Thus the announcement to end the products was widely seen as a “forced upgrade” strategy. Business and home users alike have been reluctant to upgrade to a system with substantially increased hardware requirements. An Ottawa-based IT asset analysis tool vendor, AssetMetrix Inc. found that, based on 370,000 PCs from 670 companies of different sizes in the US, the users of Windows 95/98/NT currently accounted for more than 40 percent of the corporate users of all flavors of Windows. Windows XP, which was released in January 2001, was used by only 6.6 percent and only 19.8 percent of the companies had no Windows 95 or 98 systems. Other research also supports significant use of the older systems. IT Week reported some 35 percent of companies still have Windows 95, 98 or ME (Millennium) on some desktop computers.
    Read all
    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/feb2004/wind-f19.shtml

Peace
    Wahid

Administrator

Status
    well, they can stop supporting it. But any business which has been using win98 for, say, 6 years is pretty much able to sort things themselves anyway.

I know a few businesses forced to use older OS's becuase the bespoke apps they use only support win98 for example.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status

Thumbs up If it a'int broke don't fix it

Quote Originally Posted by QuietDean
    well, they can stop supporting it. But any business which has been using win98 for, say, 6 years is pretty much able to sort things themselves anyway.

I know a few businesses forced to use older OS's becuase the bespoke apps they use only support win98 for example.

Hi
    Peace

Yes...True QuetDean
    Personally I think they should be able to, if it suits them.
    We cannot expect them to continue to keep the resources on board for some applcations for ever because we are ether lazy, cheap, or because it suits our business process...

Many persons would want to stop Microsoft from making a self-serving decision to suit their own self-serving decision....

An if it a'int broke don't fix it approach, may be out of place in some technology situation

I too know a few persons still using 95.

But know this one person using Windows 95 to run his accounting.
    When I asked him why...he said the person who wrote the applcation has moved away, and the computer and software is working, so he has no reason to fix it...

Well....on one hand you cannot argue wth that, after all it seems to work, has less virus wrtten for it and is stable for the purpose he requires, on the other...it is software and computing, so the "aint broke rule" does not really apply...or does it!???

Wonder how many persons there are like that .

Thanx for your response QuietDean
    Peace
    Wahid