41 users online (0 members and 41 guests)  

Thread: PHP vs ASP

New User

Status

PHP vs ASP

I've just been moved up into a webmaster position and don't really know too much about either. Our website is for a school district, so it's going to be fairly large but not too much traffic. I'm going to have to look into something more versitile than standard HTML to start doing the things that need to be done. but what are the primary differences in making the site to use predominantly PHP vs ASP? Not even so much on a technical level, but as for what the conceptual differences in each are. I know this is a vague question and I know there's been thousands of pages written, but some pointers on the main differences and even suggestions on which to look into first would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Administrator

Status
    One thing that should affect your decision is whether your web server is UNIX or Windoze.

PHP suits *nix/apache servers very well. ASP is easier to use on a windows system.

PHP is open-source. ASP is not.

PHP is easier to 'pick up' for a programming novice. ASP.NET has better language support, incredible portability but is a lot less forgiving for a beginner.

I can code in PHP, classic ASP, c#.net and vb.net. My personal favourite is PHP.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

New User

Status
    Thanks for the info. We're running windows 2k for our main web server, and novell/apache for some internal stuff.

From what little i've seen I am kinda partial to the look of PHP, and since we're probably never going to need all of the super advanced functionality of the ASP integration, I was leaning towards PHP anyway.

I'll pick up a book on it and start working through it.

Thanks again!