42 users online (0 members and 42 guests)  

View Poll Results: Have you heard of this before?

Voters
753. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I had heard of this issue before and I'm outraged!

458 60.82%
  • Yes, I've heard of this before and frankly couldn't care less.

15 1.99%
  • No, this is the first time I've heard of this and I'm outraged!

240 31.87%
  • No, this is the first time I've heard of this and frankly couldn't care less.

40 5.31%

Thread: Ezula - Kazza

Page 13 of 14 First ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 Last

Related

1. Ezula problem    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 1
  2. Ezula    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 5
  3. eZula and Spybot    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 1
  4. ezula    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 0
    Be Yourself

Status

ok maybe it's already been mentioned but...

a year and a half ago I was looking for a program that would speed up my i-net connection that was free. I found Netsonic, but it wasn't that good and it had an annoying ad on the top right of your browser. So I deleted it, but being not very web savvy then, I didn't uninstall it using the windows add/remove program. The add remained, and now I wanted to redownloaded netsonic, then uninstall it to get rid of the ad. On my way through the install, there was a box that asked me to install toptext. I didn't and went on, got rid of the ad but...ya. If anybody didn't already know, Netsonic, or Web3000Network (www.web3000.com) includes a download of gator, or in otherwords toptext. I don't know if you've already said it somewhere in the 12 pages but I didn't wanna look thorugh all of them That is all.
    Last edited by HTML; 03-20-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Unregistered
    Hello everyone! My name is Susanne Whatley, I am an Oregon lawyer, and I specialize in Internet law.

If anyone knows the names of attorneys who are already fighting scumware in Court, I would love to have names and phone numbers, addresses, anything you can send me.

I can be reached at removed. Thank you!
    Last edited by HTML; 03-20-2007 at 01:30 PM.

SetacNala

Question

Have you guys see Ad-Aware at Lavasoft?

I would think this is what you are looking for.

I think informing people and explaining how they are being abused will do more for eliminating this problem than a continuing battle of technology.

I am designing my sites to detect Ezula...Gator poachware/scumware and warn my visitors what has happened to them. Espeically on those sites where we accept credit card info for processing. We tell infected visitors to remove the software, otherwise we cannot garantee their privacy.

It is too easrly to have stats to know how this will work.

Unregistered

Cool

I'm alerting all of my visitors!

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    There are all sorts of banners for the cause here http://www.ahfb2000.com/ezula/linktous.php

Thanks

D
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Be Yourself

Status
    Dave can you give me an update on whats happening now with this? Hows the lawsuits that were filed against them going, or are they still going? Etc, just general information on the 'war'

Status
    Hi Dave, how have you been.... nice to see a lawyer looking into this scumware

Personally, I'm getting really tired of the scumware merchants, as soon as you get a fix another pops up!

Ugly Geezer

Status
    Looking around (and I'll admit, I haven't had time to visit every site dedicated to this subject) the campaign against this blight on the net seems to have stalled.

Whining about it doesn't work (are you listening Jim?) and I'm not sure that the (originally) good intentions here are having any effect.

I will say this, though:

With no disrespect to those trying to make a difference, calling this a Cause (capital C) and talking about "Soldiers for the Cause" etc makes it look like we're some kind of religious/cultist cranks or geeks.

We are not going to get the support of the average computer/internet user because they often don't care/understand about the issues or even notice them. They just see a link as something to click on and continue on with their adventure on the net.

We need heavy hitters, yes, but in positions of real power. Politicians who use and understand the net and are on the side of the people rather than business.

I don't know if that kind of politician exists here in the US (I'm a newcomer) but there is a need for legislation regarding acceptable practices on the net.

We have entered a year when previously free services have or will become subscription services. This is partly our own fault for allowing indiscriminate advertising (low quality products and scams) on our sites and promoting ad and cookie blocking software leading to a crash in ad revenue.

It is going to become increasingly more difficult to make a living doing this and we need legislation NOW to say what is and is not acceptable, even if we don't like all of it.

Copyright law needs reforming to help us but we have to be a little introspective and look at our own mistakes as site owners and take stock. It's a two way street.

Re: screenshots of how it shows the effects on a site....

It would be better to provide the people affected, whom we are trying to alert to the problem, with the download address of the software involved so they can install it and experience for themselves the effect it has on their own pages. Screenshots mean nothing next to direct experience. That would be a real wake up call to the big business guys when they click a word on their own page and end up looking at their main competitor's page.

With regards to stopping the Surf+ etc. style advertising, if someone has a software solution I will host it on my site (bandwidth charges allowing) for no profit (just link to it) and I think if we shared that responsibility, it would spread the cost and show, at least to each other, that we have a united front here and stop the arguments about people profiting from the problem.

Like I said, I'm not fully aware of recent developments and I'm sure y'all will correct me as needs be, but this isn't over yet and they seem to be winning.

Ugly Geezer

Status

From Zdnet.....

"A California company has quietly attached its software to millions of downloads of the popular Kazaa file-trading program and plans to remotely "turn on" people's PCs, welding them into a new network of its own.
    Brilliant Digital Entertainment, a California-based digital advertising technology company, has been distributing its 3D ad technology along with the Kazaa software since late last fall. But in a federal securities filing Monday, the company revealed it also has been installing more ambitious technology that could turn every computer running Kazaa into a node in a new network controlled by Brilliant Digital.

The company plans to wake up the millions of computers that have installed its software in as soon as four weeks. It plans to use the machines--with their owners' permission--to host and distribute other companies' content, such as advertising or music. Alternatively, it might borrow people's unused processing power to help with other companies' complicated computing tasks."

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel

Cnet removes KaZaa from download Web site

From http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/04/05/BU228926.DTL
    KaZaa lost a major distributor last night when San Francisco's Cnet Networks Inc. blocked downloads of the popular Internet file-sharing program for violating software policies.

KaZaa had been the most popular program available on Cnet's Download.com site, with 2.6 million copies downloaded for the week ended March 31. But KaZaa, already fighting a copyright infringement lawsuit by the motion picture and recording industries, became embroiled in a new controversy this week.

A Los Angeles online advertising firm, Brilliant Digital Entertainment, revealed KaZaa's program also included its software that can form a new distributed computing network using the processing power, hard disk space and Internet connections of KaZaa users' computers.

Cnet spokeswoman Genevieve Cowger said KaZaa was "delisted" for violating Download.com's software bundling policy.

Representatives for Sharman Networks Ltd., the Australian firm that owns KaZaa, were not available for comment. However, Sharman yesterday released the latest version of the program directly from KaZaa's Web site.
    Last edited by HTML; 03-20-2007 at 01:31 PM.

Status
    Yes Yes!!!! It's a start

I thought the Kaaza announcement last week was a bad April Fools day joke...but seems it is true!
    Great to see the populace revolting against kaaza

Happy belated Easter Dave, I've been so busy haven't had time to scratch myself

New User

Status

Smile I'm new to this post

Hey, guys/ladies

I would like to say whats up and my real name is ryan
    i found this site through alot of searching and it seems to be cool this is my first day and i replied once and started a new thread i think it's gonna work out here pretty good and would just like to get to know everyone thanks

New User

Status
    I have been reading up on the TopText virus but I use a Mac and I have no idea what platform it is made for so I will be on the lookout to make sure I don't have that dang virus on my system.

I am going to tell anybody I know about the virus so they will know and hopefully spread the word.

Anyway if it is a mac virus please tell me so I can check.

thanks everyone

edit: removed font coloring tags were messing with the front page
    Dave
    Last edited by HTML; 07-17-2002 at 07:34 PM.

New User

Status
    have no idea of what are you talking about.

Administrator

Status

"have no idea of what are you talking about."

What part did you get lost at?

Dave

Page 13 of 14 First ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 Last