37 users online (0 members and 37 guests)  

View Poll Results: Have you heard of this before?

Voters
753. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I had heard of this issue before and I'm outraged!

458 60.82%
  • Yes, I've heard of this before and frankly couldn't care less.

15 1.99%
  • No, this is the first time I've heard of this and I'm outraged!

240 31.87%
  • No, this is the first time I've heard of this and frankly couldn't care less.

40 5.31%

Thread: Ezula - Kazza

Page 5 of 14 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Last

Related

1. Ezula problem    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 1
  2. Ezula    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 5
  3. eZula and Spybot    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 1
  4. ezula    Forum: Webmaster Ethics
    Replies: 0

Status

my reply to them

I replied:
    Dear Mr. Barcenas,
    Thank you for your reply. I have found that in all dealings with
    FindWhat.com, response has been very prompt, courteous, and usually
    satisfactory. I usually state so on discussion boards on the web, having
    often recommended the interface and customer service at FindWhat, as well as
    the traffic to bid ratio.
    While Surf+ and kazaa and others of their sort may end up being legal,
    they will essentially take the steam out of any small publisher on the web
    with small bids. It also really galls most any webmaster to see their page
    with ugly links on it that ruin the design. Not every thing legal is moral,
    consciencious, or right to do. Just because Surf+ is not yet deemed to be
    illegal does it make it a defendable technology.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer.
    all the best,

The last few days the links had been changed to the FindWhat listings for a search term, not directly to the merchant, so that's probably where that was coming from.

I suggest everyone keep up all pressure on all fronts. I agree, they'll be back, if FindWhat doesn't get a clear message that they'll lose out on lots of accounts if they keep it up.
    webmistress

virtually ignorant

Spicy quotes supplied upon request

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Looks like a few people were banned by gethighforums, apparently they were too much interested in getting ORGANIZED and becoming more efficient, and not interested enough in the massive self promotion. To those people, we welcome you

Like you, we are concerned about stopping this, we are not interested in using this as an excuse to spam the web with a "sister site". It is sad that this has happened, but when a leader has put self promotion ahead of the public good it is inevitable.

New members step forward, lets do it the right way.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Status

Ahhhh, a new home..

Hi Dave and all!

I'm one of the recent GH bans. I guess I have to say I'm stunned.

I was asked by a forum member over there to solve some problems; I was asked to host her letters; I was asked to setup and host wuas.org because she had shot her mouth off about it on the radio.

I wrote some scripts to do what I was asked; I posted asking Jim where he wanted them and he didn't reply.

I did what I was asked and I got banned; I'm still confused....

Anyway, all I am trying to accomplish with wuas.org is a central location for those who wish to DO something can get organized and effective. Hell, I really can't afford the traffic it's generating, but I felt it was my responsibility to DO something rather than talk for days on end. I pay for my hosting, a pretty penny I might add; but I was willing to help.

I'm still willing to help, but I'm not willing to play politics. I just want to stop scumware.

If anyone wants to suggest how we can do that, please do. I'm ready to do what is necessary -- with no return. I'm just looking to save my businesses; not for fame and fortune.

Roxanne

Be Yourself

Status

lol

come on, let us keep posting Maybe we can get to a 10th page... I enjoy reading this topic, and getting updates.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Roxanne,

I am getting more and more disgusted with what is happening at gethighforums. What appeared to be an honest effort to stop these people, now turns out to be a gimmik for self promotion. This is the reason why I proposed an UNBRANDED site, and I would imagine the reason I was ignored by Jim.

Once I recogonized what Jim was really doing I withdrew from any furthur participation. The problem has not been solved, so obvioulsy I am still anxious to see an ORGANIZED effort. Please PM me and let me know what I can do to help.

Dave

New User

Status

My 2 cents

In my poor opinion I think that the easiest thing to do is to make screenshots of hi-traffic, hi-legal-budget sites like Yahoo, Altavista, Microsoft, ...The White House and such, "infected" by those "yellows&greens", then send them to them.
    They will sure know what to do!

Doesn't it make sense?

Status

Re: My 2 cents

Originally posted by Dan'sBestAPD
    In my poor opinion I think that the easiest thing to do is to make screenshots of hi-traffic, hi-legal-budget sites like Yahoo, Altavista, Microsoft, ...The White House and such, "infected" by those "yellows&greens", then send them to them.
    They will sure know what to do!

Doesn't it make sense?
    Hi everyone,
    Dan I thought it would be a great idea too, so I did just that, and as yet I'm still to hear anything.

I have noticed some of the sites I contacted now have a fix in place, but a "thank you for alerting us and we'll do what we can" would have been nice.

Still, it only takes one multi to react and we're looking good.

ps Wonder if I'm banned?

New User

Status
    Don't expect any politness from those big dot.coms. The ones who read the emails are mostly just young employees, and many of them don't even have a clue of what they're doing...

I could tell you horror stories about psychedelic answers I got from some of those big companies to really elementary inquires...

Status
    Ah!well, guess I'll just keep snapping pics, writing and sending.

I noticed the another forum is planning a blackout, what do you guys think?

Status

Blackout

I think the blackout is a great idea. But I think we should vote on a day. If we don't all agree, and it happen at the same time, there's no impact.

That's exactly why I proposed a vote thread 4 days ago on that other board. Then I wrote the program to vote on it, then I asked the owner where he wanted it, and I got banned when he didn't answer and I put it up on a site that wasn't his.

You can vote for a specific Take Down the Content Day at:

http://66.70.179.49 (www.wuas.org when DNS refreshes)

WUAS=Webmasters United Against Scumware

Note, it's an org, there's no branding, and it has it's own IP addy.
    Last edited by HTML; 03-20-2007 at 01:16 PM.

New User

Status

Hey Y'all~

it's me, RR a.k.a. Rotten Rhonda a.k.a. RhonDUH, and we won't go into what my husband calls me!

RoxanneJ, when I saw all of your posts removed or deleted "by author" I thought you decided to part ways, I did not realize you'd been banned. I went back for your e-mail addy, it's removed. I was going to look up whois & drop you a line...glad to find you here!

I like your site and have to tell you, it addresses everything I had on a list of problems/solutions that had been niggling at me. Great job! You can count me in...if you want to.

Right up front, please understand that I intend to do anything I can, at any site I can, regardless of my personal feelings to help put an end to this invasive form of advertising. As I told Dave, I'll worry about who I'm standing next to after the beast is defeated. If this is a conflict of interest or does not sit well with this group, I will not argue & take my leave now.

I think there is room for everyone and don't agree with the way some people handle their sites and/or members. Some sites I've never been to before and some I will never return to when this is over, as I'm sure will be the case for many. It is my fondest wish that all sites embrace one another and present a strong united front. Unfortunately, this will never happen.

Meanwhile, having a blackout is being prematurely called for Oct. 1. As of this time, I do not believe this is a coordinated effort, it's a poster trying to rally people to DO something.

Sending e-mails and screen shots: this has been the bulk of my current effort, and another thing that was on "my list" of problems.

The problems is this: many people simply do not understand what is going on. They see the screen shots, go to their site (sans covert advertising) and don't see anything amiss. No one has yet accused me of doctoring a screen shot, but it's what they have to be thinking.

They don't grasp that millions of people are viewing the web in this manner and that their site is affected.

I give them more details & send them 'round to the the couple sites where the bulk of the information is and they are simply overwhelmed & do not understand the "hysteria".

Bottom line, some people don't get it. We have to give them small bits of information until the bulb lights up. I think it's important too not to attempt to give them their view on the matter. People resist being pulled around, but if you talk nicely and walk at a decent pace, they'll usually come along on their own.

I try not to send more than 2 minutes of reading, 2 credible online news articles and 2-3 resources for more information and help. We want people to understand & I find myself giving too much information toward that end. If I can not get the essence of an e-mail in about 5 seconds, I frequently toss it & suspect many people do.

RoxanneJ, I believe your site is perfect for newbies to this cause. It's simple & there is no question of which way to go... follow these links or those? It doesn't put them on info overload. I've included it in a couple screen shot e-mails, explaining that it will be live in 72 hrs. and billing it as "a community poised for action". If you want it presented another way, please let me know.

And it seems to be about 1 in 6 you'll hear back from, usually in disbelief, I've yet to receive a "I'm happy someone bothered to tell me about this" "thanks" or "kiss my butt".

I haven't spent much time writing to the "the big guys" (others are doing that). I'm working a strategy, pitting the the ripees against the rippers. The scumvertisers peers putting pressure and siccing attorneys on 'em will scare prospective clients as well as make some of the current ones pull out. Underhanded, but should be effective. BTW, I'm sure people read what I send:
    Subject: your site has been altered
    gets attention right away! LOL!!

The only "big guys" I've delt with was a phone interview w/CNets Stefanie Olsen today, I'd e-mailed her last week. I wish I could have guided her to WUAS.org, but she needed live stuff. I just check and she's posted a fresh article: http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6986199.html getting people this information to the public is still my priority.

And I gotta' go. I don't leave my e-mail around public forums, but anyone can reach with anything addressed to my dotcom.

Catch ya' later!
    RRR (really rotten rhonda? -dang thing wouldn't take 2 r's!)
    Last edited by HTML; 03-20-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Administrator

Status

Roxanne and Rhonda, welcome to the forums

Though we have spoken thru emails, it is great to have you both here to share your knowledge and experience with us.

Please do not take my personal opinions as anything other than that, a personal opinion. While I feel the ego and website may be in bad tatse, the fight is still being fought in a legal and professional manner, we still must support it. I hope he does something to get it organized before it gets even more fragmented.

If I can do anything to help, let me know

Dave

Status

Hi Rhonda!

RoxanneJ, when I saw all of your posts removed or deleted "by author" I thought you decided to part ways, I did not realize you'd been banned. I went back for your e-mail addy, it's removed. I was going to look up whois & drop you a line...glad to find you here!
    Hi Rhonda! Good to see you here!
    Actually, I was resoundly *asked* to depart from the other forum. Not terribly politely either. Jim seems to think I was trying to "steal" his! (his ??? did you know he owns you?)

I like your site and have to tell you, it addresses everything I had on a list of problems/solutions that had been niggling at me. Great job! You can count me in...if you want to.
    Thanks, but that graphic is too big, it's not nearly what it should be, but I was trying to hurry to respond to a need. I wasn't worried about "pretty," just function. Anyone want to volunteer to do a GOOD graphic? I've got some great guys working on content, but we could always use more. We're trying to concentrate right now on form letters. To make the notifying and campaigning a little easier and a little more uniform. We're working on letters to senators and legislators, etc. first.

{quote]If this is a conflict of interest or does not sit well with this group, I will not argue & take my leave now. [/quote]

That's the beauty of this movement!!! We're all together on the same page. While we may not agree on the "hows" we certainly agree on the whys; and it's what makes us effective.
    Meanwhile, having a blackout is being prematurely called for Oct. 1. As of this time, I do not believe this is a coordinated effort, it's a poster trying to rally people to DO something.
    Oh, I know that feeling soooo well. <g> But I have no doubt your owner will step in and put a stop to that.

I've included it in a couple screen shot e-mails, explaining that it will be live in 72 hrs. and billing it as "a community poised for action". If you want it presented another way, please let me know.
    Absolutely not -- thank you for the compliment!!!!

Good luck, you've done a lot of good work just like many other folks. BTW, if you need screenshots I have 100 stored.

We'll try to get the information we need up at the site within the next 24 hours, but I have a feeling it will be an ongoing project.

Dave, glad to be here!!!!

Catch you all soon.

To webmistress:
    this quote from findwhat.com is categorically not true, I have the screen shots to prove it. On August 22, I clicked on a Surf+ link from Google.com which led to a link for "(lets just say adult material - Dave)"

In order to correct incorrect information posted on the Internet, we also want to reiterate that the Surf+ application never highlighted words which linked directly to our advertisers' sites, especially adult-oriented sites. That would be against our policies.
    The captured graphic clearly shows findwhat.com in the location bar of the IE browser; along with the Affiliate ID.

Anyone who needs that graphic is welcome to it. Just email me.
    Last edited by HTML; 02-04-2002 at 10:58 AM.

New User

Status
    Hi all, it's me (the most evil of the banned bunch)

I not only got banned from GHF, but let's just say that Jim and some of his cronies have made it abundantly clear that their lives would be better if I was to throw myself off of the nearest cliff

Anyway, I guess my opinion was expressed too strongly and if I offended anybody then I apologize, I should not have worded my opinion so strongly.

I posted mostly in the C/net thread over there, and my goal was honestly not to flame (although I guess I did do that unintentionally). My goal was to try and rally the other webmasters into TAKING ACTION of some kind and not just talking everything into oblivion and arguing over semantics which results in nothing being done for the cause.

A lot of my posts were deleted, even posts that did not aim at any other members at all, Jim really made me out to be some kind of lunatic and I was surprised at the childish temper tantrum thrown by Jim Wilson (he is supposed to be above that kind of thing I thought).

What I found interesting (and this applies to the cause in general) is that while debating at GHF some webmasters would keep coming forward and insisting that we argue over semantics and petty details to the point nobody was doing anything for the cause except posting the same redundant, widely repeated opinions (which of course generates plenty of banner impressions for our good friend Jimbo)

No wonder Jim encourages only useless talk (talking about repeated issues over and over and over again) because that generates more banner ads for him. If we all took action and left the GHF site to carry out real action every day, then he would lose banner ads while we were gone

I was not against anybody's opinion in reality, I was only against talking every issue into oblivion which was being done time and time again. It was my opinion that C/net gave our cause "the middle finger" in clear terms, and that is why I made the strong suggestions that I did regarding C/net.

I started out calmly, and as they ignored us I reacted and everybody else at GHF is now talking about how my call for action against C/net was the work of an insane madman that was out to "destroy the cause" for personal gain, and they still talk as though C/net is "on the verge" of giving us what we want (in my opinion that is not happening still nor will it happen).

But, I am not here to argue this, I have had my fill of trying to organize webmasters and I'll leave that to others now I am only stating why I posted the way I did at GHF.

I also wanted to say that I was shocked that Roxanne was asked to leave GHF since she did one of the best and most UNselfish acts of anybody at GHF. I was also shocked at Jim's public flame to Roxanne and her new site idea (a flame that was later deleted).

Before deleting his public flame, Jim told Roxanne that her site was a selfish idea designed to steal money from HIS cause and that her site was too insignificant to make a difference in HIS movement. He then wished all of us members leaving "good luck" in seeking out the fame, fortune, and selfish rewards that we are placing above the cause.

He flamed us like this immediately after informing his whole community how he will not tolerate flaming ever

I did not take offense to that myself, but I felt that Jim had abused Roxanne and another person in a child-like and immature manner, a manner that was not very becoming of a self-proclaimed "web marketing guru". I felt Jim owed them an apology for that.

Roxanne, your site is the BEST site I have seen so far for this cause, your site is all about ACTION, your whole front page is immediately calling upon everyone to take action in some way, it is the most organized, well planned site I have seen and my only guess is that Jim felt threatened by your site's leadership potential for getting people to take action (which means less banner impressions for Jimworld and less kudos for Jim and his cronies).

Jim wants Scumware.com to be the ONLY hero of this cause so his name can be the ONLY name in the newspapers, what a great guy!

By the way, Jim also flamed again (and then later deleted it) in the next post directly after he announced he was booting us, he said the following words in that next post:

"To those members here who need their name written down on a list to do something, GET OVER IT, everything you need in order to take action is already here in these forums" (almost exact quote).

I am mentioning this only because nobody realizes why he said this, except me.

He sounded off like this (insulting all of his members by accident before deleting it) because 30 minutes before he made that post I sent him a message telling him that his forum and his site were all about getting people to talk every issue into oblivion and that there was nothing in his forums (or on his site) to get people organized into taking some type of REAL LIFE action for the cause. I mentioned that there was just a lot of fragmented and chaotic squabbles on his boards that needed more focus.

Apparently, Jim lost his temper after reading that message from me and that is why he publicly flamed his entire community in a second post last night, by accident when his emotions were running hot (I just wanted you to know that he is probably not the great guy you imagine him to be).

I am not going to comment on Jim or GHF in any other posts here, I am not here to complain as it might sound like but since Jim cut off my posting ability I just wanted to say my peace in this one post (regarding what is happening at GHF to subvert our real cause).

Dave, you are 100% correct in what you noticed about Jimworld, you were trying to get everybody to throw away their egos and to unite for the real cause and Jim showed his true MONEY HUNGRY colors by ignoring your requests and by kicking Roxanne out when she was trying her best to unite everybody into action also.

Dave, I also noticed that you and many others were encouraged by Jim, a while ago, to go to other groups and boards and to get more visitors to Jimworld for our "cause".

Then, once these visitors (from other sites and boards) were led to Jimworld by you and others working hard for the cause, then Jim suddenly announced that he will not allow any other sites to represent the cause thus "trapping" those Hi-Jacked visitors on his own site (Jim is doing what Top Text is doing with visitors, which is trying to steal and then hoard them for his own brand).

Call me weird, but the above scenario seems like Jim Hi-Jacked visitors from other boards to his own board (by using his own members who thought they were uniting for our common "cause") and this type of Hi-Jacking under false conditions is exactly what we are fighting against in the first place.

I am not here to argue anything, so if anyone feels I am just ranting then I apologize and feel free to disagree - I am not going to argue with anybody here.

Anyway, I just wanted to say to dave that I think your former role at GHF was a great one and I think our cause would be better served with people like you representing it, people with no ego and no financial motive to Hi-Jack discussion board members from other boards and news groups for the purpose of populating a "new sister site" at the expense of our cause, as was done at GHF.

And Roxanne, I hope they list your site in DMOZ because it is THE BEST site on this topic. Great site Roxanne!

I'm done with my GHF talk, that was the only time I'll mention it here.

Status

Welcome J Esquire

Hi JE! Welcome!

Thanks for the comments about the website, we are working to make it more resourceful each day.

As to GH and Jim, I will only say I think this community is in for a rude awakening as to the final result when he is done with them.

Now, let's get off Jim and get some results going!!!! There is much work to do.

I'm concerned about another program being distributed (I think).

Does anyone have knowledge about this one:
    http://meltingpoint.com/pressmirazolaunch.html

That press release is fairly old, and I don't get a result on download.com. Is it possible this is the predecesor of TopText?

Dave? Wildcomputer? Anyone?
    Last edited by HTML; 03-20-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Page 5 of 14 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Last