52 users online (0 members and 52 guests)  

Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4

Related

1. Need help on Apache Installation Please    Forum: PHP Forum
    Replies: 2
  2. skins/templete installation prob.    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 2
  3. Replies: 0
    New User

Status

Re: PHP Installation

I download PHP 5.1.4 Installer for Windows, the one on the PHP.net website.
    I am using Windows XP, and also have added PHPRC variable with value C:\PHP in the system variable.
    Still my PHP did not parse. Problem not solved...
    I hope to solve this long persistent problem.
    Thanks for suggestioin and help!
    Looking forward to..
    --Ted

Status

Quote Originally Posted by php.net
    The Windows PHP installer is available from the downloads page at /downloads.php. This installs the CGI version of PHP and for IIS, PWS, and Xitami, it configures the web server as well. The installer does not include any extra external PHP extensions (php_*.dll) as you'll only find those in the Windows Zip Package and PECL downloads.

Note: While the Windows installer is an easy way to make PHP work, it is restricted in many aspects as, for example, the automatic setup of extensions is not supported. Use of the installer isn't the preferred method for installing PHP.

First, install your selected HTTP (web) server on your system, and make sure that it works.

Run the executable installer and follow the instructions provided by the installation wizard. Two types of installation are supported - standard, which provides sensible defaults for all the settings it can, and advanced, which asks questions as it goes along.

The installation wizard gathers enough information to set up the php.ini file, and configure certain web servers to use PHP. One of the web servers the PHP installer does not configure for is Apache, so you'll need to configure it manually.

Once the installation has completed, the installer will inform you if you need to restart your system, restart the server, or just start using PHP.
    I've emboldened what I think are the most relevant points ...
    Without picking apart your php.ini, and your webserver config files, I'd have to suggest taking PHP off and going the manual route - I did it and it was pretty straightforward - the instructions are very clear and easy to follow. As you need to config Apache manually anyway, you might as well do the whole thing.
    Last edited by DeadMeatGF; 07-09-2006 at 02:07 PM.

New User

Status

Well, what should I do to install it manually? The PHP download page is not very clear either. Should I go ahead and download:
    Collection of PECL modules for PHP 5.1.4
    or download the binary codes of PHP 5.1.4?
    What is PECL?
    Thanks!
    By the way, regarding PHP .dll, isn't that the new version of PHP 5.1.4 already include them? Sorry for late reply but there are many things to learn and I am new.

Status

This is a condensed version of the online php.net documents, and is an "I did this and mine works" thing. I can't guarantee it'll work for anyone else.
    My system is WinXP, with the latest Apache webserver set up, tested and running OK.
    I started from scratch, so I make no comment on the best way to upgrade an existing installation.

Extract the PHP5 distribution file into a directory of your choice. You may choose any location but do not have spaces in the path (like C:\Program Files\PHP) as some web servers will crash if you do.

The CGI and CLI binaries, and the web server modules all require the php4ts.dll (php5ts.dll) file to be available to them. You have to make sure that this file can be found by your PHP installation.

Add your PHP directory, (e.g. C:\php) to the PATH.
    How do I add my PHP directory to the PATH on Windows?

On Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003:
    Go to Control Panel and open the System icon (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System, or just Start -> Control Panel -> System for Windows XP/2003)
    Go to the Advanced tab
    Click on the 'Environment Variables' button
    Look into the 'System Variables' pane
    Find the Path entry (you may need to scroll to find it)
    Double click on the Path entry
    Enter your PHP directory ant the end, including ';' before (e.g. ;C:\php)
    Press OK and restart your computer

The next step is to set up a valid configuration file for PHP, php.ini. There are two ini files distributed in the zip file, php.ini-dist and php.ini-recommended. We advise you to use php.ini-recommended, because we optimized the default settings in this file for performance, and security. Read this well documented file carefully because it has changes from php.ini-dist that will drastically affect your setup.
    This really is important. The ONLY real way to learn about setting up php is to read through php.ini and change settings - testing as you go and reverting to the original if you don't get the desired result.
    Note: If you're using NTFS on Windows NT, 2000, XP or 2003, make sure that the user running the web server has read permissions to your php.ini (e.g. make it readable by Everyone).

PHP is now setup on your system. The next step is to choose a web server, and enable it to run PHP.
    Browse over to here and see the instructions for your preferred webserver ...

Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4