41 users online (0 members and 41 guests)  

Thread: I need help...

New User

Status
    Actually, I'm on the highway to Hell right now, I'll tell you when I get somewhere

Exclamation I need help...

Does anybody know how to make a newsticker out of HTML ? if you do, please reply here and give me the HTML to make one, or tell me how to create one with HTML. This is urgent, so please help me!!

Administrator

Status

try -

Pure HTML? No. Cannot be done.

However, you can make a newsticker from JavaScript, Java or DHTML.

Try http://javascript.internet.com

or http://www.dynamicdrive.com

both excellent resources.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status

Heres a simple example..

This is a simple example from DD.

Code:
    <script language="JavaScript1.2">

/*
    Ticker Tape script- 
     Dynamic Drive (www.dynamicdrive.com)
    For full source code, installation instructions,
    100's more DHTML scripts, and Terms Of
    Use, visit dynamicdrive.com
    */
    //configure tickercontents[] to set the messges you wish be displayed (HTML codes accepted)
    var tickercontents=new Array()
    tickercontents[0]='See what\'s New at Dynamic Drive. <a href="http://dynamicdrive.com/new.htm">[Read more]</a>'
    tickercontents[1]='Browse the most popular scripts on Dynamic Drive <a href="http://dynamicdrive.com/hot.htm">[Read more]</a>'
    tickercontents[2]='Link back to Dynamic Drive! <a href="http://dynamicdrive.com/link.htm">[Read more]</a>'

//configure the below 2 variables to set the width/background color of the ticker
    var tickerwidth='65%'
    var tickerbgcolor='lightblue'

//configure the below variable to determine the delay between ticking of messages (in miliseconds
    var tickdelay=3000

////Do not edit pass this line////////////////

var currentmessage=0

function changetickercontent(){
    if (document.layers){
    document.tickernsmain.document.tickernssub.document.write(tickercontents[currentmessage])
    document.tickernsmain.document.tickernssub.document.close()
    }
    else if (document.all)
    tickerie.innerHTML=tickercontents[currentmessage]

if (currentmessage==tickercontents.length-1) currentmessage=0
    else currentmessage++
    setTimeout("changetickercontent()",tickdelay)
    }

function start_ticking(){
    if (document.layers)
    document.tickernsmain.visibility="show"
    changetickercontent()
    }

if (document.all)
    document.write('<div id="tickerie" style="width:'+tickerwidth+'; background-color:'+tickerbgcolor+'"></div>')
    window.onload=start_ticking
    </script>

<ilayer id="tickernsmain" width=&{tickerwidth}; bgColor=&{tickerbgcolor}; visibility=hide><layer id="tickernssub" width=&{tickerwidth}; left=0 top=0></layer></ilayer>
    Have fun!
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

New User

Status
    Actually, I'm on the highway to Hell right now, I'll tell you when I get somewhere
    Well, actually, I think DHTML would work...could you give me the code for that?
    I already tried Javascript and that doesn't work with my internet webserver..
    Does DHTML work in an HTML box?

(Html box--A.K.A. a little scroll-box that I put HTML in, and press Enter and that creates
    the HTML object for me)

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    SpazboyE,

Welcome to the forums

If I understand correctly, "HTML box" you are using a basic editor somewhere like geocities. You should be able to cut and paste the code above, or any other code that you may find at the suggested link Dynamic Drive, and it should work.

Please note 2 potential problems

1: You should verify at dynamic drive that it will work on at least Netscape versions 4.* and higher as well as ie 4.* and higher. Netscape can sometimes give problems when working with the likes of DHTML.

2: never try editing a page with DHTML in a wysiwyg editor such as frontpage, dreamweaver etc. Once DHTML is placed in an HTML file the file should only be edited in a text editor, similiar to the editor at geocites, notepad, wordpad etc.

If you decide that the code above is not what you desire you may also take a look at http://www.moreover.com again once this is placed ion your HTML file you should be certain to put away the cheap wysiwyg editors.

Good luck,

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Administrator

Status

Hmm

I don't know about your html box, but it will work in most browsers.

As to DHTML, DHTMl is really just a short name for the clever mixing of JavaScript, CSS and the increased DOM.

Have you tried the code above? Works in Netscape 4+ and IE 4+.

you seem to have certain needs here (html box?) so if the normal things are not working, maybe you could explain more about the box etc.

Administrator

Status

Doh!

Didn't see your reply, sorry Dave.

Ignore mine. Daves is complete.

New User

Status
    Originally posted by Dave
    SpazboyE,

Welcome to the forums

If I understand correctly, "HTML box" you are using a basic editor somewhere like geocities. You should be able to cut and paste the code above, or any other code that you may find at the suggested link Dynamic Drive, and it should work.

Please note 2 potential problems

1: You should verify at dynamic drive that it will work on at least Netscape versions 4.* and higher as well as ie 4.* and higher. Netscape can sometimes give problems when working with the likes of DHTML.

2: never try editing a page with DHTML in a wysiwyg editor such as frontpage, dreamweaver etc. Once DHTML is placed in an HTML file the file should only be edited in a text editor, similiar to the editor at geocites, notepad, wordpad etc.

If you decide that the code above is not what you desire you may also take a look at http://www.moreover.com again once this is placed ion your HTML file you should be certain to put away the cheap wysiwyg editors.

Good luck,

Dave
    *crickets chirping*

"What?"

So, basically what you're saying is that one of my options is that I can take that code above, put it in an Appleworks Document, save it as HTML , and that will work in my HTML editor?

(P.S. I don't use Geocities--I use www.bolt.com to build my websites)

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    spaz,

If you are using a text editor copy and pasting the above should work. However people using netscape may not be able to see it.

Dave
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting