55 users online (1 members and 54 guests)  

Related

1. adding sound to a Html web page    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. Replies: 2
  3. Sound files in Netscape    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  4. Adding Sound to my website - WMP    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 4
  5. sound on webpage    Forum: Graphics Forum
    Replies: 5

Status

sound not loading

Hi all,
    Here's the problem: I have a text link to a sound bite, the sound bite is in .mov format. On my mac it works, on the pc it doesn't load at all. I put the sound in mov format because I cropped it in quicktime. All the rest of my sound links are working except this one. Here is the url:
    http://www.ryanwhitney.com/clientpages/vccradio.html
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Heidi

Status

why oh why

Can anyone tell me why sound file links are so undependable? One day they work fine, the next they won't load at all. In one browser they are shown as a separate window, in another they are a broken link. I don't get it!!!
    What is the best file type to use for sound links? What is the best method for linking? What is the best program to edit sound with? Is there anyone out there who knows their sound?

PLLLEEEAASSEE help me!!

Heidi

Administrator

Status
    Sound in a webpage is unreliable becuase it relies on the clients sound programs.

Can't help anymore than that to be honest, as I never use sound myself. I don't like my books to sing light opera, and I don't like my webpages to play music.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Status
    Thanks for the response. I don't want music to play continuously or anything, I am just trying to have some of our radio commercials in our portfolio. What a pain!
    Heidi

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hbass
    Thanks for the response. I don't want music to play continuously or anything, I am just trying to have some of our radio commercials in our portfolio. What a pain!
    Heidi
    Hi,

i don't use sound much either but i think using a .wav or .mp3 filetype would probably be more widely accessable to end-users!

I don't know anything about Mac's either but the following works for me in IE6:

<embed src="yoursoundfile.wav" autostart="false" loop="false" hidden=
    "false">

..obviously the sound file in the same folder for this example!

Hope this helps!

krak_d

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by krak_d
    Hi,

i don't use sound much either but i think using a .wav or .mp3 filetype would probably be more widely accessable to end-users!

I don't know anything about Mac's either but the following works for me in IE6:

<embed src="yoursoundfile.wav" autostart="false" loop="false" hidden=
    "false">

..obviously the sound file in the same folder for this example!

Hope this helps!

krak_d

Just noticed you wanted a txt link! A normal hyperlink to the .wav or .mp3 file also works but as Dean pointed out it relies on the clients sound programmes, although most can play these two types of file format!

krak_d

Status

Thanks

Thanks again for everyone's help!
    I'll share with you the solution I found, which should behave the same across platforms and browsers for 90% of web users. I loaded the sound into flash, created a small page with sound controls on it, and linked my text to this page. Instead of relying on who-knows-what software the user might have to download and play sound, it only opens in Flash Player, therefore creating a uniform response on most computers.
    You can check it out at www.ryanwhitney.com/clientpages/fnbrradio.html
    Heidi