42 users online (0 members and 42 guests)  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Related

1. Web hosts...    Forum: Web Hosting Forum
    Replies: 14
  2. Frontpage Editor    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. frontpage 2002 forms don't work    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1

Status

UK Web Hosts, Including php, FrontPage, Zero Banner ads or pop ups

Hey you guys

I have been searching now for forums that cater for my needs, and to be honest, there are absolutely MILLIONS!

I see many on this site but really do not know what is a reputible company. Ideally, I would like one in the UK, but would this really make a difference?

I need one, not necessarily the cheapest, but one that supports phpbb forums, has enough web space, at least 50 meg, and a good speed for fast pages and one that has absolutely no advertising either banners or pop-ups. I want just a nice web host.

Would anybody like to offer their advice or experiences to help me decide who to go for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    what is your budget?

Status
    eh, say 4 or 5 per month, no more. I have seen cheaper, but not sure if these are just too cheap.

Also, not sure what that equates to in $

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Dean should probably be able make a few suggestions.

Dave

Administrator

Status
    www.blackfoot.co.uk

I have seven websites hosted there. Reliable, honest.

Pretty cheap too. Most of all, their aftersales is superb.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!
    No support via email or private message - use the forums!
    Before you ask, have you Searched?

Administrator

Status
    In fact, I did not say enough. They are truely excellent. I swear they never sleep.

Can get a decent package (much more than you spec'd) for 50 per year, thats about 4 p/m.

And no, I am not on a referral scheme I just really like these guys.
    If one of our members helps you, please click the icon to add to their reputation!

Status
    Thank you very much, I also really like these guys on first impressions

I take it php 4 means I can run phpbb forums from this host? I am still a bit of a pleb in the world of techy jargon

This certainly looks like the best so far, thank you again for pointing them out.

Splendid

Administrator

Status
    Yep, phpBB is not problem on this host. In fact the cPanel has an automatic installer of phpBB, or at least it did last time I looked.

Status

Thumbs up

Great, thank you

I think this is who I will go for, not quite ready to do so, but yes for sure.

I am a bit nervous of transferring my web site and forums across to a new host. I haven't a clue to be honest how to do it all, and no doubt I will be back to ask you guys each step of the way

It ceratainly is a fantastic package they offer.

p.s. I may just challenge the cs clan you posted a link to

Thanks once again for your quick replies and excellent advice.

Administrator

Status
    Yup, I'm clan-leader so feel free to challenge

Status
    I'm not clan leader, and very rarely play now due to my new web site, but.............

I think I can ask for it to happen, that would be cool

We are at...... http://www.clan-csra.co.uk/

It is a small world indeed

Status
    A couple of questions if you dont mind. If I'm in the wrong forum for these questions please let me know, sorry if it is.

When I do commit and transfer my web host, I presume all I need to do is download the full set of files, keeping the structure, with my ftp program, then upload them to the new host. This is fine, but my current host is my pwp on blueyonder which has a daft looking domain name. I do however have a domain name re-directing to this pwp domain name. (Am I making sense???).

The question is, will I have to manually fix all the links that point to the pwp domain name, or is there another way to do this, i.e. front page?

What I mean is.........I have a revision page which will look like doogsta.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/revision.htm, but my domain name is healthandsafetytips.co.uk. I want it to read healthandsafetytips.co.uk/revision.

I'm confusing myself even

Or, when I upload my files via front page, will it automatically fix all the links for me as it has done similar things for me in the past?

My other question is about my forums........

I really do not want to lose my forum postings at all! I have built up a good set of posts thanks to my users, and really do not want to waste that. I currently have my forums hosted by phpbbhost.org (great by the way). Is this exactly the same as the web site method?

Can I just download the files via ftp, then upload them and fix all the links?

Any help would be great, and if you can understand what I am trying to ask, you deserve a medal, a biscuit at least

Thanks for your patience and time.

Administrator

Status

If you are using absolute links ( http://www.whatever.com/section/page.html ) and you are now going to be using a new domain, than every link will need to be changed. I cannot tell you if frontpage has a system in plaace that would automate the process. Of course if you are using relative links ( section/page.html ) than keeping the same structure when uploading is all you have to do.

The bulletin board sounds like it is your biggest problem. If I undestand correctly, you are now using a remotely hosted service and wish to now run your own BB. If this is correct than you should plan on having to start over with member registrations, posts and all other data.

Dave
    Last edited by HTML; 04-17-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Status
    Thanks Dave

I'm not sure I understand fully the relative links and absolute links, sorry. I am trying though.

I will give the link to the site, maybe it will help you see what I mean.....

http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/

When I look at the code in front page, the href links are relative (I think), there is not a full web address as such.

I want to keep the domain name I have, linked above, hence one of the reasons to change host.

My pwp address is........

http://doogsta.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

in case that helps.

You are correct in that I want to run my own BB, this is going to be a pain to say the least.

I should get started soon on that issue.

Thank you once again.

Status
    A quick update:

Blackfoot officially rock!!

They are going to transfer my entire web site, AND my entire phpbb forums leaving everything intact!

This I cannot believe, but there ye go.

Fantastic service so far. Any email I have sent to them has been replied within 5 minutes

I cannot say enough about blackfoot so far, the best I have found so far (with a big thanks to QuietDean of course).

Fantastic!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last