48 users online (1 members and 47 guests)  

Related

1. Overlapping background Images    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 1
  2. overlapping corners with CSS    Forum: CSS Forum
    Replies: 3
  3. Preventing duplicate form submission    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 2
  4. Preventing hotlinking of images    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 0

Status

Preventing overlapping layers

Hi all,
    Is there a way to prevent layers from overlapping in the browser? They are fine in all of my browsers, but on my friend's computer, my two bottom layers (copywrite and address) are overlapping, causing quite an eyesore.
    The url is www.ryanwhitney.com/home.html

I would like to do this without converting to tables, if possible, as I have a difficult time working with tables. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Heidi

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hbass
    Hi all,
    Is there a way to prevent layers from overlapping in the browser? They are fine in all of my browsers, but on my friend's computer, my two bottom layers (copywrite and address) are overlapping, causing quite an eyesore.
    The url is www.ryanwhitney.com/home.html

I would like to do this without converting to tables, if possible, as I have a difficult time working with tables. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Heidi

Hi,
    it looks ok on my browser IE6, 800*600 res. Have you had a look what it looks like using relative positioning?
    krak_d

Status
    I am not familiar with relative positioning. Is this part of a css? How would I go about relative positioning?
    Thanks,
    Heidi

Status

Smile z-indexing: do you really need to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by krak_d
    Hi,
    it looks ok on my browser IE6, 800*600 res. Have you had a look what it looks like using relative positioning?
    krak_d
    Looks OK in 1024x768 as well.
    I've found that z-indexing can screw up a layout when a browser is resized. You have to use it very carefully.
    Why use layers for just text? I would think it might be more efficient to just set up a div for that 'block' and use inline styles to style the font. BTW, the font tag is deprecated. You never know what the page is going to look like in current/future browsers.
    Nice site.

Status
    Hi,
    Thanks for all the responses! I am sorry for my total lack of technical understanding, but what do you mean by the font tag is depreciated?
    I have joined the two bottom layers, so they will not overlap anymore, but body text could still overlap them. It shouldn't really be a problem, though, unless someone has their text set really large.
    Thanks again,
    Heidi

Status

Talking This.....

Quote Originally Posted by W3Schools
    The <font> Tag Should NOT be Used
    The <font> tag is deprecated in the latest versions of HTML (HTML 4 and XHTML).

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has removed the <font> tag from its recommendations. In future versions of HTML, style sheets (CSS) will be used to define the layout and display properties of HTML elements.
    Here's a link http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_fonts.asp to where I got this.
    Last edited by Android; 04-14-2004 at 12:33 PM.

Status
    Thanks for the info!
    Heidi