57 users online (0 members and 57 guests)  

Thread: AXIS Dialer

Related

1. AXIS Dialer    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 1

Status

Unhappy AXIS Dialer

Hi,

ive encountered a rather nasty dialer that i can't get rid of. Can anybody recommend a security forum or better still a quick fix for this.

The dialer is called AXIS. Simply deleting it has no effect as i think it re-names itself on start-up. i've noticed it appears in my internet options/connections, when i try and and start Win Media Player also.

I've ran Ad-aware (up to date) and Panda Virus Scan to no avail. I've also ran aČ, this detects the malware and deletes it but as i said it recreates itself.

Thanks for any help.

krak_d

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    I have not heard of this one and cannot really find anything doing a search. Have you tried spybot s & d?

anybody have any info?

Dave

Status
    I've not tried spybot search and destroy yet as don't have it. (yet)

I thought Ad-aware was pretty much the same thing? I'll give it a go though see if it comes up with anything.

I've tried several keyword searches and come up with very little on this.
    The only other reference to AXIS i've found is http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88227 but i think the solutions provided are referring to another problem the original poster has. That being 'Winpup', more a pop-up scum thing than a dialer problem.

krak_d

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43574&hl=

Status
    Thanks Dave,

unfortunately there seems to be a problem with logging into that site. I've registered and have used there hijackthis logfile utility. I think the site is under-going a few updates as i had trouble finding somewhere to download the hijackthis prog.

To date SSD, Ad-aware nor aČ can permanently get rid of this dialer!
    Hopefully an answer will come soon....just as soon as i can post on there!

krak_d

Administrator

Status

uite

Try starting up in safe mode, I think the problem may be that it trying to remove while it is running causes it to mutate. Quite possibly if you attempt to remove it when it is not running it will not be able to do anything to hamper your efforts.

Dave

Status
    I've tried removing it in safe mode and have temporarily disabled system restore, still nothing! In fact aČ no longer finds anything! (aČ was the only prog to identify it of those mentioned above) Got me stumped!

krak_d

Administrator

Status

You can download hijackthis at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dvk01uk/downloads.htm then post the results at the forum I listed above.

Dave

Status
    Hi Dave,

i've downloaded hijackthis but cannot post in the forums on the site for some reason. I can log in but everytime i click 'new post' i am logged back out again. This is after i 've verified my email address too!
    I have informed the site administrator about the problem.
    If and when i solve this i'll let all know!

krak_d

Status
    OK, its been over a week now since the appearance of the Axis dialer on my system. So far i have tried 3 different security forums to get rid of this thing posting a 'hijackthis' log in each forum and still no solution!

I've also searched for similar occurences of the dialer but only followed links to unresolved threads!

Thanks to this site a search for "Axis dialer" brings up this thread on a google search so hopefully someone will read it and solve this. I hope so anyway cos this is really peeing me off now! (my apologies for anyone reading this latest post thinking ive found an answer, im just posting: 1) to vent frustration and 2) to keep the thread active....apparently this helps with search rank, so ive heard!)

Administrator

Status

Yes I saw today where this page is #1 in google for axis dialer, hopefully some of the viewers can contribute the pieces they have found out and we can help people remove this dialer.

Dave

New User

Status
    Fraid i have it to and cant remove it. Will post if i find anything.

Status

Axis Has Left The Building!

Hi,

i am very pleased to say that the AXIS dialer has been removed!

Pretty simply in the end too!

After failing with various spyware/dialer/homepage hijack removal programmes and checking M$ for updates the dialer was finally removed by simply installing over my existing Win Media Player. I had recently updated my player from version 7 to the latest version 9 only a few weeks ago when the dialer appeared and have been checking for any security updates on it since!
    However, after posting about the dialer on a security forum http://computercops.biz/postp191821.html#191821 i was advised to re-install the player....not sure if its a newer version or its just installed over the old one but either way my player is now working properly and ther is no sign of the dialer at all!

krak_d