68 users online (0 members and 68 guests)  

Related

1. to stop row growing in table    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 0
  2. Replies: 7
  3. Stop refreshing iframe    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 2
  4. Stop Inline Frame    Forum: Website Scripts Forum
    Replies: 1
  5. stop bg music link?    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1

Status

Talking Help me stop my hedging....

Well, we're settling down in our new digs, and now I'm getting around to planning my very own "audiophile grade listening room. I've got the floor and ceiling planned, and I've settled on what is going on the walls (both paint colour and artwork!), and I'm going to try and make the audio racks and stands myself. I'm going to reuse my comfy IKEA chairs for listening.
    The room itself is about 10 feet (3.3m) by 16 feet (5m). The gear is going against the shorter wall.
    The only thing I haven't settled on is electronics. I've only just started reading the HIFI mags and looking at things online, and I'm looking forward to booking some quality audition time with the local dealers. I'm leaning toward British equipment, so I'm hoping that somebody here might have some advice.
    The equipment I have now that I'm going to use to start with are a Bang and Olufsen Rx turntable with an MMC3 cartridge, and my speakers are Royd Edens (they are great sounding speakers with my old Harmon Kardon, I can't wait to hear them through "quality" components)
    I'm thinking of something along the line of an integrated amp like an ARCAM A65 or CREEK 5350SE or a Musical Fidelity A3.2 or something along that line. With really efficient speakers like the Edens, and the smallish room, I don't think that I could justify separates, and decent vaccuum tube gear is way to much green.
    I know that I could post in a forum dedicated to HIFI, but it always seems that nobody has anything bad to say about anything-just a "nothing to bicker about at this price" kind of comment. I'm fishing for comment from people who've actually bought this kind of stuff. Any other audiophiles (or wannabe's like me) out there who'd care to comment or suggest anything?
    Do British people buy only British? Apparently, some great stuff comes out of there.
    Last edited by Android; 05-18-2004 at 07:54 PM.

Status
    Hi Android,

i'm no expert but i have an old Arcam 8 amp that sounds absolutely fantastic...even through my old JPW speakers, and i mean old! I was thinking of hooking up more speakers (bi-wireable) but i've not got the dosh at the moment, plus the room isn't big enough to justify 4 speakers BOOMING out...not to mention the neighbours getting slightly upset at the noise!

I'm also looking for new digs, 1st time buyer HELL! I don't know what the property markets like over there but its getting beyond a joke here, TOTALLY PRICED OUT!

krak_d

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by krak_d
    I'm also looking for new digs, 1st time buyer HELL! I don't know what the property markets like over there but its getting beyond a joke here, TOTALLY PRICED OUT!

krak_d
    I remember my first house. It was about 600 square feet in a neighbourhood of 600 square foot houses all built at the start of WW1 ! We bought it in a sellers market and sold it 5 years later in a buyers market for a gain of about $5000 Canadian (not counting the built up equity.)
    We bought the second house in a buyers market practically a steal, and we sold it in a sellers market (we had 4 offers) for about 15% over list price!
    We're very happy. The real estate market here is crazy as well. I saw one house listed at something like $425 grand go for $550 grand. That's almost 30% over list. Who can afford that kind of action anymore?
    Good luck with the search.

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    Anybody in the market for a mansion? A buddy of mine has one up for sale for a steal at 1.95 mil. Of course in California that is darn near the cost for an everyday 1800 sq. ft. home but in San Antonio where most new homes go for about $120k this truly is a mansion. There was a write up last week in our papers business section titled "Turners Dream", I will try later to find the article online.

Somebody is going to get a hell of a deal on this home that was once his fathers estate before his passing. After the death of Sr. the mansion became part of the foundation which is why it is going so cheap. If the moneies from the sale were to go in his pocket he would be asking for fair market value, but since it is foundation money he just wants a quick no hassle sale.

I will try to find the article and post a link...heck I have not even read it yet so I am very interested.

Dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Anybody in the market for a mansion?
    Dave
    Struggling to buy a 2 bedroomed flat/apartment at the moment. Give us a few years though

Administrator

Status

Follow HTML On Twitter Add HTML on Facebook Add HTML on Google+ Add HTML on Linkedin Visit HTML's Youtube Channel
    So I do not carry the thread too far off topic I have started another thread at http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_he...ad.php?p=14905

as far as great sound systems, I have never heard of the names you mention, I am content with my Sony and Kenwoods

Dave