32 users online (1 members and 31 guests)  

Related

1. Which are Website Fonts    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 7
  2. Webpage Fonts    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. Fonts and Win98    Forum: General Discussion
    Replies: 3
  4. script for my fonts    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 1
  5. Choosing web fonts    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5

Status

A Problem With Fonts

OK here it goes...

As I downloaded a font off of 1001fonts.com. I installed the font on my computer and such. I liked it so much I wanted to use it for my bands web site. I figured out something though, Since I still have the file on my computer, I figured that I would upload that file onto my web server. It worked, pretty well too. So I realized that now it worked, and I started using the font name on some of the pages. I get out of the house, and go on somebody elses computer to show them my bands page, and I realize something. The font I used, doesnt show up on other peoples computers! I mean I put the FONT file on my server and everything. And now it took me a 30 minutes or so to make the links you click on now of images with the font I want.

Why does the font not look the way it is supposed to on other peoples computers? is it because the font I use is not installed?? is there a way I could make it so it does show up?

www.freewebs.com/toetappingscoundrels/welcomepage.html

see that for what I mean.

Status
    Hi skadrummer01,

if the user doesn't have the specified font installed on their pc then the browser will look for the closest match from what it does have in its font folder!

If you can locate the font folder on your pc then you could offer it up for download on your site but i wouldnt hold my breath waiting for anybody to download it!

krak_d
    Last edited by krak_d; 06-15-2004 at 07:02 PM.

Status
    Yeah, thats what I had the feeling of, I knew it was that way. I just spent my whole time just making that hip font into images, and making them links.

Status

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by skadrummer01
    is there a way I could make it so it does show up?
    I think there are a couple of ways. I seem to remember there is a way to make a browser download and use a font temporarily, but as I've never had cause to use it, I can't remember how.
    Oh, I jsut found this to use as an example:
    Code:
    <STYLE TYPE="text/css"> 
    @font-face { 
        font-family: font-u-want; 
        src: url(http: //www.font-server.com/font-u-want.pfr); 
    } 
    </STYLE>
    It might work......
    Or, if the font is just used in navigational links, you could make the links out of images using your desired font.
    Last edited by Android; 06-16-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Status
    thats exactly what I did, I had to make the font im using as links, it kind of sucks cause before I had the background change using css when you hover over the link and it looked pretty hip. Oh well

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by skadrummer01
    before I had the background change using css when you hover over the link and it looked pretty hip. Oh well
    Actually, css hovers don't work in all browsers. If you use javascript to change the image for the link on mouseover/mouseout, it would be more cross-browser happy (except for those who disable javascript).

Status
    that would be hip. but most people take that off of there settings