37 users online (0 members and 37 guests)  

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Related

1. mpg basic controls    Forum: HTML Forum
    Replies: 5
  2. basic animation    Forum: Javascript Forum
    Replies: 1
  3. Basic Information about ASP    Forum: ASP Forum
    Replies: 16

Status
    Choosing Your Top Level Domain

Once you have figured out a name for your ‘domain’ it can be really confusing trying to decide on what should go after the “dot” (i.e. com, net, org, etc…) in your domain name. This part of the domain name is referred to as a top-level domain (TLD) and knowing the difference between each top-level domain is important when choosing your domain name.

Below are the descriptions of the best known top-level domains:

.com – This is the most popular TLD. It is used mainly for US commercial organizations. BUT, in its capacity, it represents the highest standing for any domain name. Anyone can have a ‘.com’, but it is more difficult to think up a unique name that hasn’t already been registered.

.net – This is the second most popular TLD. It generally describes the entity owning the domain name as a network and is used mainly by organizations that provide network connection services.

.gov – Generally used for government agencies.

.int – Intended to be used for sites relating to International Treaties or containing international databases. For this reason, it is not widely used.

.mil – Mainly used by military organizations of the US government.

.org – In general, non-profit organizations tend to use this extension.

.name – This is a new TLD and is intended to allow individuals to register their names (i.e. firstname.lastname.name) as a personal domain name on the Internet.

.biz – This is a new TLD for businesses; ‘.biz’ is intended to be an alternative to the ‘.com’.

.info – This is also new, and is freely available to anyone with a business, government or non-commercial site.

Status
    What's the difference between multiple domain hosting and subdomains?
    With multiple domain hosting you can use the same account with a host for two domains or more. Lets assume that you have registered two domains: www.m-6.com and www.6-m.com. With multiple domain hosting you will be given one directory/folder on your webhost server where you would upload your HTML files/pages.But the webhost company will configure your website so that if someone types m-6.com or 6-m.com into their web browser, that person will be taken to the one and same site. In other words, both domain points to your one web account on your server.

Subdomains are the third level domains in the sense they are used to organise your website content. They are just folders under your root directory but to access them a special url is used.
    For instance, http://www.m-6.com is a regular URL without a subdomain.
    http://features.m-6.com is an URL with subdomain"features".
    Here the
    .com is the first level domain
    m-6 is the second level domain
    features is the third level domain

New User

Status
    Thanks Priyanka -- this is very helpful. I have another comment for you which I'll make in another thread.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars
    Thanks Priyanka -- this is very helpful. I have another comment for you which I'll make in another thread.
    Hi Lars,
    Waiting for your comment.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2